Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58797 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2010, 13:13:30 »
A perfect picture of beautiful squashes 1066 - let us know which taste the best as you use them, will you?

Here are the four Black Futsu which made it to maturity:

[attachment=1]

There are just two small Winter Butternuts still to harvest, then I'm done for this year.

I am very impressed with the flavour and texture of the Jarrahdale, but it is so long-vining and the leaves are so huge I won't be growing it again next year. I shall be looking to grow smaller varieties which don't take up so much space. If the Black Futsu is good to eat I shall grow it again next year. It was grown on a frame I bought at Lidl which took up less than 60 cm ground space.

Tricia

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2010, 13:54:31 »
Tricia would you mind weighing your Black Fitsu so that I could have an idea of the size of them. I am also looking to grow smaller squashes next year. I have grown some crown prince and jarrahdale but these are a little too big even though I do like them. I have grown Bon Bon and sweet Dumpling and these two are a perfect size for what I want. The sweet dumpling only weighs about 1/2 a pound or so.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2010, 14:02:40 »
well here are a few of the ones I picked early cos of the slush. Think I'll bring the rest of them in this weekend

Sorry not the best of pics - but there are a couple of Winter Festivals, An Ausie Blue, A Rouge Vif D'Etamps, a Sucrine De Berry (which is now finally ripening)

;D

[attachment=1]

Lovely picture ;)
I've bought a squash that looks like the Winter Festivals, except it has green stripes in the grooves, is this still a Winter Festival type ?, (going to save the seeds and grow it next year)

I've had Festivals with green stripe.... the basic body colour is a sort of pale cream, with a darker yellowish shade on the outside of the lobes and green stripes in the grooves....

chrisc

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2010, 14:51:25 »
Mortality - if you look at this link it might help identify what you have grown, it sounds like an Accorn type

http://www.kcb-samen.ch/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=acorn&submit=ok&search_in_description=1

Thank you Tricia  :) - my Black Futsu have come to nothing, they just never really got started, so I want to know what they taste like as well  ;D  I'm planning on building a frame after seeing a few pictures of some, looks a good way of growing squash and maximising on space!

I think looking at what I've grown this year, the nicest looking ones have been the Rouge Vif D'Etamps - maybe a bit big for some, but I'm looking forward to trying them  :)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2010, 15:00:56 »
here are the babies  :)

Potimarron, Blue Ballet, Blue Kuri, Little Gem and some pathetic looking red Kuri!!

[attachment=1]

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2010, 20:01:18 »
My Winter Festivals have yellow in the grooves, with a little green on the ridges on the underside where the sun did not get.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2010, 23:34:47 »
Duke - if you look beneath the first thumbnail of the BFs you will see that I noted that they weigh between 1206g and 1550g (2.65 lb - 3.41 lb.) ;D ;D.

Tricia

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2010, 09:45:05 »
Tricia - Did your Black Futsu go in later than your other squashes or do they just need a much longer season?  If I remember rightly, a lot of your squashes were ready in August.

Very appealing specimens!  Looking forward to your taste report on them  :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2010, 12:37:20 »
We had lovely warm weather here in the south west in April and May, so most of my plants from the greenhouse went out, protected by fleece, early this year.

All the squashes, which were quite big, strong, potted on plants, went out on 4 May - with the exception of the Futsu, which was planted out on 13 May. I remember I couldn't quite decide where to plant it as there was no more room in the raised bed with the trellis. In the end it did quite well being tied into a six foot plant frame from Lidl - even though it only got sun for a short while each day. I had to hand pollinate it as I only had one other moschata (Butternut) which, due to being transplanted, started flowering rather late. Most of the male flowers on the Futsu came towards the end of the season, so I was able to use those flowers to pollinate the Butternut which did things the other way round. Crazy old world  ::).

I harvested the other squashes after very heavy rain because all the foliage just flopped on them all for some reason. It didn't affect the Futsu plant which was in another area so they were left until yesterday.

Tricia

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2010, 14:41:44 »
if you save the seeds tricia, next year you'll have Futternuts or little Butsu's  :D

oh I am looking forward to harvesting mine soon

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #310 on: September 25, 2010, 16:47:28 »
Futternuts or little Butsu's  :D

;D  ;D  ;D

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2010, 17:58:22 »
Tricia sorry I missed the weight under the thumb nail ???

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #312 on: September 25, 2010, 22:26:24 »
Futternuts or little Butsu's

Interesting idea - I might just try that to see what happens (if I can find space  :-\). I'll certainly save some seeds from each variety. All the other varietes I grew this year were maximas.

Tricia 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #313 on: September 26, 2010, 17:01:37 »
I harvested my first two rugby-ball sized pumpkins today as the stems had died off (though I've just read in an old thread that I could have left them longer). I've only grown pumpkin and winter festival this year but both have done well although I only have one pumpkin big enough for a lantern!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #314 on: September 26, 2010, 17:24:47 »
Futternuts or little Butsu's

Interesting idea - I might just try that to see what happens (if I can find space  :-\). I'll certainly save some seeds from each variety. All the other varietes I grew this year were maximas.

Tricia 

No, no, it was a joke. They would be very poor, apart from the silliness of the names

don't you think "Butternut and Futsu" would be a great name for a detective series? Like that one with Felicity Kendall, only more vegetable orientated........

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #315 on: September 26, 2010, 20:27:41 »
Bugloss - The Vegetable Detectives  :D I'm loving it!
It's a bit like that on A4A anyway, when we all try and help identify an unlabeled plant  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2010, 16:51:00 »
I've started bringing some of mine home today.

[attachment=1]

4 Tonda Padana, 2 Butternuts, 3 Uchiki Kuri, 1 Crown Prince and 1 Hubbard.

I've still got to pick all the Butternuts and BonBons which are growing on my borrowed plot. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2010, 16:55:56 »
Right thats confirmed it, i have grown uchiki kuri.  I thought i got butternut squash - doh!

Can i ask a question.  the other day i went to make soup with my uchiki kuri and when i was doing it the flesh nearert the skin was turning green - is this normal?  It was still solid to the touch so I carried on with it and the soup tastes fine (but i have got a cold!).  Is this normal?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #318 on: September 27, 2010, 17:39:06 »
what a lovely show of squash Betty. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #319 on: September 27, 2010, 20:53:34 »
As Shirl say's Betty they look great, I harvested a single butternut today, :'(  I was also given a squash by one of my mates at work, its the same colour and size as a butternut but is more of a big pear shape and I can't work out what type it is,    HELP! ! ! ! ! !
 ??? ??? ???
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal