Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58799 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2010, 06:05:17 »
Tricia - now here's something I'd never thought I'd think or say,  I have Black Futsu envy! Mine just hasn't done much  :-\  So well done you!!

1066  :)

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:51 »
I have decided, i will not be disheartened this year, next year WILL be better!!!!

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:58 »
Aahhhhh, Black Futsu - sowed half the packet, all thrived.  Planted out 3.  One cut down by a cutworm the very next day.  Two others pulled up by me just as they started vining because I thought my Crookneck was one.  I was so looking forward to a black, bevelled squash - yes, there's always next year  ::)

1066 - Did you crop your Cousa yet?  I know I'm supposed to find it fabulous, both Jeannine and the compleat Squash woman say so, but I'm just finding it like a slow cooking courgette  ???

I know you're into cooking, whereas these days I'm something of a slouch in the kitchen department, any suggestions?  I'd really like to find that flavour.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2010, 14:07:05 »
Guys - don't be envious  :). Three of the five Black Futsu are ready - but I'm schooling myself to hold back till the foliage dies back.

After torrential rain night before last the foliage on the Green Hubbard and the Jarrahdale flopped and the plants are looking very sorry for themselves so I cut the Green hubbards and am waiting for someone to come by to help me cut the Jarrahdale down from high up on the trellis. It is so heavy I know I couldn't hold it once the supports were cut away.

I've never harvested squash this early before - most unusual!

The GH's weigh 3.056 kg, 2.668 kg and 1.698 kg respectively.

Tricia 

[attachment=1]

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2010, 18:22:37 »
I had 2 squash just drop off today when I was putting them on a tile. One was a butternut and the other a sunshine. Neither of them had handles sow will they store ok.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2010, 20:14:51 »
I had 2 squash just drop off today when I was putting them on a tile. One was a butternut and the other a sunshine. Neither of them had handles sow will they store ok.
I'm cooking a Sunshine as we speak because the top around the corky stem got moldy. Thought I'd find a borer in it but none seen. Also picked a basketful of "Confection" winter squash with corky stems. My guess is they won't store as well. I plan to cure them in the shade on the patio, dip them in dilute bleach and later hang them in little birdnetting hammocks from the rafters in the basement but keep a close eye on them for
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2010, 07:37:32 »
Well 1 of my Queensland and 1 of the Red Kuri have rotted on the plants. Humph!

EarlyPea - my Cousa hasn't produced anything yet! I do wonder about how much more exposed I am here on the coast in comparison to land lumbers, and the difference it makes.
But the Cavili (from Tuckers) another white green courgette, has started to produce again - they are very subtle and gentle in flavour, and to be honest I've been eating those raw or grilled or fried with garlic and oil - so not very imaginative, so another slouch here! But I had looked up some recipes for Cousa (or Kousa), and most seem to involve stuffing them with mince and herbs, I have one by Claudia Roden which has dried apricots in the sauce. I googled these (and they look very similar to Claudia's recipe)
http://hummus-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/12/kousa-mahshi-kousa-mahshi-recipe.html
http://suburbangourmet.blogspot.com/2007/07/stuffed-zucchini-with-beef-and-rice.html
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/60/Stuffed_zucchini_(kousa_mahshi) – in this it is suggested to use Chick Peas as a veggie version, but I think it might work quite well with either red lentils or puy lentils. I often use puy lentils for stuff like this.
BTW she recommends using an apple corer to get the flesh out of the courgettes

Hope my Cousa does something soon!!!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2010, 08:31:21 »
Went to inspect mine yesterday and a fox had shat on one of mine  :P Not sure whether to wash it off or bin it?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:00 »
Wash it off... the sun/air will get rid of any nasties long before you bring it in...  :)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2010, 08:37:51 »
Thanks 1066 - I do have Claudia Roden's, Middle Eastern cookery book somewhere, it was an all-time favourite of mine when I was a cooker, but the recipes are very involved.  The Cavalli sounds good from previous reports too - might try that next year.

I suppose being too exposed doesn't help, but you also took a naughty holiday while I was developing arms like a gorilla from lugging watering cans   ;D

At this point I'm not quite sure what to do with my Queensland Blues - 3 whoppers now, but still soft-skinned, plant getting a little bit of the powdery mildew now and my resident rat starting to nibble at odd crops including one of my very aged Trombas.  He only does it in the Autumn, quite strange and this is his winter bedroom (ex compost heap) I've taken over for the squashes.

Do I need to rescue the Q Blues before the rot advances up the stems?  I've seen others leave them lying while the plant dies around them, is that the right thing to do?

I will try spraying, but I can't today or tomorrow because it's going to rain.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:42:40 by earlypea »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2010, 08:41:32 »
A little bit of powdery Mildew doesn't need spraying (IMHO) I just pick off badly affected leaves.
The gnawing is a bit of a problem though...  :-\

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2010, 08:51:28 »
The gnawing is a bit of a problem though...  :-\
It's not just the gnawing it's the shock  :o  I fell over backwards into my rasberries yesterday when I saw him back in my shed again.

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:06 »
my Hooligan has just shown evidence of fruiting, I can see about 4 fruits about the size of a golfball and the crown prince still flowering but no fruits :( But the weather is getting so much colder now I was thinking of buying some polythene and throwing it over the raised beds they're in as I can't see them surviving much longer. My delicata gave me one 5inch fruit before the plant succumbed completely to powdery mildew.
Still harvesting small yellow zuchinni and grisette de provence courgettes, two quite different tastes and textures so I'll definitly grow them again next year. :)
St Leonard's on Sea

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2010, 12:23:47 »
Question:  has anyone ever left the trombo summer squash to harden and tried eating them in the winter?
We have some that have turned tan on the vine- I planted too many of these thinking some might get killed but they've all survived. Just wondering if they are fit to eat come winter.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2010, 13:57:24 »
Question:  has anyone ever left the trombo summer squash to harden and tried eating them in the winter?
We have some that have turned tan on the vine- I planted too many of these thinking some might get killed but they've all survived. Just wondering if they are fit to eat come winter.

Yes, I had one that I kept until the following year and it was fine.  I left it on the vine for as long as possible then kept it in my porch.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2010, 15:11:58 »
I suppose being too exposed doesn't help, but you also took a naughty holiday while I was developing arms like a gorilla from lugging watering cans   ;D

:o  :o  :o - actually thats one thing I'm not good at - watering! Blumin good at holidays tho   ;D  ;D  ;D

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2010, 15:16:43 »
I am going to be brave and ventire up the lottie after work today to see the damage, if anything has grown...not likely in this weather  :'( and to remove any mildewey leaves)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2010, 16:30:19 »
Finally got the Jarrahdale cut before the deluge set in this morning. It weighed in at 9.2 kg (20.26 lb). It's had its bleach wash and is now with the others curing by the patio windows. The futsu foliage is still nice and green so the 5 fruit will be left for as long as possible. Also have 3 small Hunter butternuts which still have a long way to go.

It feels weird to have squashes curing in August - but this has been a funny old year in my garden. I've never harvested sweet corn in July before either!

[attachment=1][attachment=2]

Tricia

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2010, 17:13:02 »
Thanks 1066 - I do have Claudia Roden's, Middle Eastern cookery book somewhere, it was an all-time favourite of mine when I was a cooker, but the recipes are very involved.  

I guess what I was thinking about are the flavours of middle eastern cooking and just using her stuff as a jumping off point, I know what you mean, some of the recipes can be a bit fussy for a weekday meal!

Lottiedolly - I'm sure yours will be fine!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2010, 17:36:46 »
Why the bleach wash tricia.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal