Author Topic: How are everyones squashes doing  (Read 58796 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: How are everyones squashes doing
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2010, 09:08:39 »
Great book eh. I would die to have a photographer like that.  Mine has been coming along slowly for a long time, as I said one of these days, but not so glossy or expensive.. it is a grass roots dig in muck kinda book. Probably self printed and given away. I do love Amy's though and as GranAnn said don't you just love all the colours and shapes, it is the most fascinating veggie I think.

Dream of a time when you could have unlimited space, and the manpower  or muscle to plant as many as you like... heaven.

Who agrees?

Course then we could dream for  good weather, rain when we need it.. no US bugs for Grannie Annie..

in a perfect world..

;D

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2010, 09:17:26 »
Ah yes in a perfect world ........  :)

Anyway what are you doing on here, get busy writing!!!!

1066  :)

p.s. if you ever need a transatlantic proof reader, just let me know and I'd be happy to help out :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:46 »
Cheek, do you know it is 1.30am here and I have just eaten for yesterday, and then all I had was a banana.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:57 »
I checked out my squash yesterday. The blue hubbards are producing lots of golf ball sized fruit prolifically  and are starting to stretch our round the plot. One fruit is about tennis ball size. They seem to advance every day! Like Shirl I'm trying to keep them trained in a circle but I thinkI may have to give in soon.

Uchiki Kuri and Potimarron are growing well and flowering but no fruit yet. I can't wait!!

It would be lovely if I end up with some squash but it will depend on the weather really. I don't really mind if I don't get any. It's just such fun growing the plants and watching their progress!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2010, 13:59:24 »
I'm rushing round feeling like a bee, pollinating everywhere ,just don't want to take a chance on not getting plenty of squash, plus cutting off the end of the stems here and there  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2010, 15:37:10 »
Our crooknecks popped out 8 fruits then nothing for a couple weeks. Now they're producing again
though fewer. Perhaps I should have fed them after the first round to show my gratitude.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2010, 20:16:53 »
Oh to be a bird in the sky watching you flitting like a bee .

"So what did you do today?" friend in supermarket asks. "I mated all my squash on the lottie" says Manics :o

The mind boggles, I wonder what non gardeners think about us.

Perhaps it is well it wasn't cucumbers. :o :o :o

XX Jeannine

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2010, 20:26:32 »
hahaha, I did the melons last week, getting a dab hand with a q tip, mind you, I keep my vices secret   ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2010, 21:45:46 »
My huge Jarrahdale had a circumference of 82 cm yesterday - today it is 84cm! I just hope the netting and supports hold out!

Tricia

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:36 »
My huge Jarrahdale had a circumference of 82 cm yesterday - today it is 84cm! I just hope the netting and supports hold out!

Tricia
=33.07...inches     That is impressive!  What circumference can they reach?

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK THIS THREAD WILL BECOME T?HE LONGEST ON THE FORUM BY FALL??
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:34:04 by GrannieAnnie »

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2010, 08:02:29 »
Yay finally have a baby queensland blue to go with my single harrier butternut, my 4 uchi kuri's and my 6 crooknecks. The rest of my winter squashes are flowering wonderfully (she says through gritted teeth all males no females). I finally picked my first pattypan at about 6" diameter and i have spotted a little one less than 2 ".

Kxx

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:56 »
Our crooknecks popped out 8 fruits then nothing for a couple weeks. Now they're producing again
though fewer. Perhaps I should have fed them after the first round to show my gratitude.

What kind of feed would that be?  My optimum bed will go on forever, but B and C grade I'm worried will run out of sustenance.  I never feed, rely on the earth, but I might make an exception if my Trombas start falling off  :-\

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:46 »

What kind of feed would that be?  My optimum bed will go on forever, but B and C grade I'm worried will run out of sustenance.  I never feed, rely on the earth, but I might make an exception if my Trombas start falling off  :-\
They were planted with some manure but there is never enough and the watering and rainfall surely wash away the nutrients over time. Some of the winter squash I gave some liquid fertilizer to and they've become huge. I might do that again to help the baby squashes mature that are just forming now.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2010, 14:47:23 »
I've been giving my squashes, sweetcorn, celeriac and courgettes a handful of poultry pellets every three weeks this year. Too much? - too little? not really sure!

Tricia

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2010, 14:59:14 »
Closing the gate is getting harder and harder

interesting also how different the form is from one squash to the next on the same vine

The striped are a delicata variety "Honeyboat"

This orange one ("Sunshine F1) stayed green at the blossom end and had to be eaten due to borers drilling into it. It was much sweeter than a cured Butternut!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 15:11:02 by GrannieAnnie »

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2010, 16:05:02 »
Very jealous...mine didn't germinate.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2010, 16:45:18 »
Very jealous...mine didn't germinate.
Sometimes my seeds don't either. With squash they say don't keep them too wet or they'll rot
which may be why some of mine didn't make it.

Lately the past two years I've tried germinating some seeds in
peat pot cubes on a medical waterproof heating pad and have had much better germination rates.
I only use it for seeds that like heat. But there again the soil mix shouldn't be too wet which I'm trying
to get into my thick head. Each year a learning year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2010, 21:39:17 »
Lottie, you are making me nervous. Your crooknecks are not winter squash and will not store, well the one next to my name is a Pennslyvania Dutch Crookneck and it a winter but if you have  just a regular crookneck you need to pick them and use them the same as your pattypans.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2010, 21:40:20 »
Kea, tell me how you germinated, they are so easy, maybe I can help for another year XX Jeannine

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2010, 22:06:20 »
I have a huge dark green BNS shaped thing called Napoli.  Very pleased with it and it now has another on the way.  Not clear if it is a Moschata or not looks like one.  Germinated very easily.  It will become more obvious when cut open  but that is hopefully months away.  Apparently they can be up to a meter long.  So  mine has a lot of growing still to do.  But the plant is on a take over bit of the allotment.   

I have several Hunter and Harrier BHS plants and I have a great deal of leaf but very few fruits.  One is absolutely covered in male flowers very frustrating.

Lots of Trompetta D'Albenga on the way first really long one.   Again on a take over bids.  Paths - what paths. 

I was given a pumpkins and it is enormous.  Have not grown many pumpkins this year due to manure issues.  One is looking very sick indeed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal