Author Topic: No Dig I think I am coming around  (Read 968 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
No Dig I think I am coming around
« on: July 24, 2010, 12:47:45 »
I have just removed a bed of broadbean and replaced it by brassicas in minumum time about an hour. 

The Broad beans had been well mulched and there was very little iof this remaining.  I just chopped off the beans removed a few weeds and threw in the brassicas and watered well.

But it has taken me eighteen months to get there.  It was as hard as concrete to start with.    Last year it had courgettes grown in pockets of manure.  Autumn it was double dug with more manure.  Hope to have carrots on it without digging next year.

But I do not think no dig is possible in unworked soil.  Basically we did not have soil just subsoil, gravel and what the pigs left behind. 

Now the worms have come back and have two spade depths to work with it is a very different proposition. 

There are lots of worms under the grassed paths, I went down one morming to find lots of them stretched out across the surface.  I had never seen worms at it before, and had no idea they did it all together on the same day on the surface of the soil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal