Author Topic: popped gooseberries  (Read 837 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
popped gooseberries
« on: July 20, 2010, 18:56:18 »
I went out to harvest some of my pax gooseberries today to find that they had all burst in the recent wet weather. Im so gutted after watching them grow and ripen for two months.

I know that to stop tomatoes bursting in floods you leave the lower side branches on , is there any remedy for my gooseberries.

Any one else having the same problem?

x sunloving

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: popped gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 19:09:15 »
Have had gooseberries with burst skins in years gone by - same with grapes and toms. It happens because the skins harden during the hot dry period, then when they try to take up more water when it does rain, the skins can't expand. The only solution I know is to water them during the dry periods.
I think that the trick you quote about leaving side branches on toms after floods is fine for flood situations, because the skins haven't hardened and the plant sheds some water into the side stems, which you'd normally cut off. It wouldn't work if skins have hardened during hot dry spells of weather.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: popped gooseberries
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 19:35:31 »
Yes, it is the recent rains after the dry spell. They are still perfectly usable for pies, fools etc., as you will be cooking them.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal