Author Topic: Beetroot Juice  (Read 1922 times)

queenbee

• Acre
Beetroot Juice
« on: July 18, 2010, 21:10:19 »
A couple of weeks ago the newspapers ran an article regarding beetroot juice, saying that it lowered blood pressure. The supermarket where I work has acquired some and it is nearly £3 per bottle. I have loads of beetroot growing in my plot and there is no way I will be paying that much. ( I do have high blood pressure) has anyone got any ideas how I can convert my beetroot into a juice. Or does anyone know if eating boiled is just as good. Beetroot is my favourate veg., so no need to add anything other than beetroot.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Beetroot Juice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 21:39:55 »
You might want to re think your objections to buying it when you realise you need 1kg of beetroot to make 1 pint of juice and you need to drink 1pint of beetroot juice a day.You need to either use a juicer or liquidiser. If you use a liquidiser you will have to puree the beetroot and then allow it to drip through a strainer or muslin. An electric juicer will make the juice without you having to strain it.

Duke :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 21:49:18 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 21:47:40 »
Thanks Duke, I get your point, I will eat it boiled and keep taking the tablets.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 22:13:46 »
Do you think that your job may have caused your high blood pressure - mine did

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 22:28:56 »
Lottielou, Yes you may be right, but only the management, the little cogs like me make it all worthwhile.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 23:33:16 »
I find beetroot gives me loads of energy, and I do have high blood pressure. I love to eat it cooked in the slow cooker, but not sure if I'd like just the juice.
Smile, it confuses people.

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 23:49:02 »
Its amazing, I make beet juice all the time. I like it best with spinach and apple and a bit of ginger. I have one of these which I'd recommend to anyone....

http://www.naturalwayhealth.co.uk/matstone-juicer.php

Beetroots' raw cooked and juiced are amazing!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 00:00:41 by sawfish »

robontheallotment

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 00:13:06 »
Wrap your beets in foil and bung them in the oven, the result is much more flavour and all the good stuff stays in the beet and does not end up in the water.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:37:17 »
If I remember rightly beetroot juice is good for the blood, I find it has an earthy taste but not unpleasant. Carrot, apple, ginger & chilli is my all time favourite.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 15:31:42 »
Young beets are also nice just finely grated and eaten raw. Nice with grated carrot, celery chunk and raisins in a salad, with French dressing. They are often eaten raw here in France. They do have a sort of earthy flavour but I like it in fact.
I cook mine in the pressure cooker when I want them cooked, about 20 minutes does the trick.
But as my beetroot this year is utter c**p... not sure I will get any decent ones.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 23:15:23 »
cook them if you want a meal, juice them if you're thirsty. I'd recommend the foil wrapped oven method for cooking.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 13:31:54 »
cook them if you want a meal, juice them if you're thirsty. I'd recommend the foil wrapped oven method for cooking.

What temperature & cook for how long please?

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 13:37:26 »

What temperature & cook for how long please?
Yes.  Instructions please, and would it be worth planting beetroot now?

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 14:01:18 »
Get your beetroot, clean it, leave the skin on, wrap each individually tightly in foil, shove it in a medium oven for 25'ish minutes or until a knife goes through it reasonably easily, unwrap, eat with the skin on or not. I like it on best. If you want you can add herbs before wrapping but I prefer the real earthy taste. I usually do them with other veg too.

I don't know if you'd get much of a crop now to be honest but you might? It only costs a quid for a packet of seeds.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 15:12:12 »
Sawfish is that machine as easy to clean as they say it is ?

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 16:18:23 »
Thanks for that info Sawfish  ;D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 18:58:09 »
Sawfish is that machine as easy to clean as they say it is ?

Very easy, takes less than two minutes then about 20 seconds to assemble once dry. Its quite a small machine too which is handy. The only slight problem is that you have to chop the fruit into bits, pretty big bits mind you and it takes a lot longer to juice than centrifugal juicers such as this one where you can virtually shove whole apples in.

http://tinyurl.com/36csa6h

In some ways I wish I'd got another fast one but mine is faster to clean and easier to clean and they say the juice is better from my type, plus I like my ones retro looks.

I picked up a second hand Anthony Worrell Thomson Breville one the other day in a thrift shop for a tenner in great condition. I cleaned it well and gave it to a mate for his birthday! People tend you get rid of them if they don't fit their lifestyle so you can pick them up really cheap.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 19:07:45 by sawfish »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal