Author Topic: Pumpkin/squash harvest  (Read 2892 times)

mpdjulie

• Acre
Pumpkin/squash harvest
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:54:05 »
I am growing quite a few squash and pumpkins.  Can anyone tell me when the best time to harvest them will be?
Thanks
Julie

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Pumpkin/squash harvest
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 14:45:36 »
That depends.  What varieties do you grow?

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 19:56:32 »
burgess buttercup, boston winter, uchiki kuri, Delicata, Acorn Table King, Lunga Di Napoli, Jumbo Pink Banana, Marina Di Chioggia, Crown Prince, Blue Hubbard, Potimarron, Tromba Di Albenga and Waltham Butternut.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 20:03:45 »
Last year I harvested all of mine around the mid to end of Sept/ early Oct. I did keep an eye on the weather incase of frosts!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 20:05:09 »
But my understanding is that you leave winter squash (the ones with hard skins) on the vine as long as you can. So end Sept/early Oct would be good.

When you fear a frost or really cold weather is imminent, then cut them and store them somewhere cool and dry to 'cure' ie get so hard you need an axe to get into them later on  ;D

But of course if you don't want to store them, but just eat them straight away, then whenever you want to, you can cut them and eat them.

My winter squash are still at the embryonic, green stage atm. I'm sure in most summers they're ripening by now. Have you got some fruit then, mpdjulie?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 21:04:20 »
Ideally you want to leave them on the vine till it withers and dies, still leave them another week or so to cure . If frost comes then pull them straight away and cure them indoors.  They need to be cured in warmth then stored in the cool.Leave a handle on them, this is important as cutting  them too near the fruit lets bacteria in, and don't pull them off the vine, you must cut,..don't use it as a handle however. When they are cured, the skins should be hard enough that a finger nail when pressed into the rind won't leave a mark , if it does they are still not cured and they need to be cured a bit longer. The best way is in the sun. When the nail test is OK , wipe them down with a 10% solution of bleach and water which will remove any surface bacteria on the skin. Store them in a cool dry place, preferable on wood slats , don't store on concrete. People often leave them in the greenhouse but it is not the best place as even is winter it can get too warm in there on a warm day, It should be a place where the temperature doesn't fluctuate. Don't let them touch. They are better after storing than fresh as the starch turns to sugar although you can of course use them fresh if you wish. Whilein store check them regularly and immediately use any that seem to be starting to break down.

Please note, they will not cure unless fully matured.

Just remember the most important rule ..cure in warm, store in cool,

XX Jeannine

When you harvest them you will probably fins small immature ones among the foliage, use them as summer squash, ven a couple of inches they can be used.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 21:20:00 »
These are some of my squash
boston winter this is now basketball size

burgess buttercup

jumbo pink banana which is now 16 inches long and has a circumference of 22 inches

rouge vif etampes

I do have alot more but I can't get into the foliage to get a clear picture.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 21:24:09 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I was thinking about hanging my squashes in tights/stockings from the joists in the garage after curing.  Will that be okay?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 21:29:09 »
Yes, but you need to be able to check them XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal