Author Topic: What should I ask?  (Read 1013 times)

EnglishRose

• Quarter Acre
What should I ask?
« on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:41 »
After waiting over two years for an allotment, I was thrilled to get a phone call yesterday afternoon to say that a plot had finally become available.  I can't begin to tell you how excited I am!

I've been invited to have a look at the plot next week before I agree to take it on.  Now, I'm a complete gardening novice.  I know that it's almost certainly going to involve a lot of backbreaking work at the start, regular maintenance and a few (or, in my case, a lot of) disappointing crop failures.  I've also done a bit of basic research and know that I need to find out about the facilities available at the site, limitations on the lease, the soil type/quality and what is permitted in the way of weed disposal (bonfires, skips or....?).  But what else do I need to find out?  What should I ask the Allotment Secretary when I meet him next week?

Any advice gratefully received (especially lessons you've learnt the hard way or questions you wished you'd asked before getting started) as I really am completely clueless at the moment....

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: What should I ask?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:56:34 »
You have no doubt thought about various things by your comments,Make a list of questions you want to ask.

If its a proper run site they should give you a copy of the rules and regulations for the site.

Best of luck with your new aquisition  :)
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 13:38:26 »
What's the water, if it's taps but no hoses or troughs then how far away is the nearest one from the plot. Weedkiller policy, is there a toilet, is there a seed-buying scheme, do they get a common manure/compost/leaf-mould delivery
Sheds? Greenhouses? polytunnels? How much vandalism/theft does the site experience? Things like heavy-duty strimmer available to borrow/hire, ditto rotavator etc...

chrisc

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 13:50:35 »
I'd ask who's who on the site.We were fortunate to get the plot next to the site rep at the time and he was so helpful,still is.Getting to know people is so useful as they know far more than is ever written in the rules and regs.
Good Luck EnglishRose  :)
sanity is overated

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 14:00:31 »
Can you plant permanent crops like fruit trees ?
What crops do most people grow / which do best / which would you want to eat /grow.

What nasty perennial weeds are in your plot.
Who is responsible for maintaining the paths etc, ie the bits that surround your plot.
How close is the parking - especially if you need to being lots of tools & stuff.
Security - is the lotty kept locked always /at night/ never ?
Where can you get cheap slabs for paths ?
Any second hand greenhouses/ sheds going spare ?
Where the kettle is kept ?  :)

Without being too pessimistic, what is the percentage minimum cultivation required before you get an eviction notice - you dont want to get thrown off before you get started.  :(

Why did the last person give up / die of ?

Once there and once you've found the kettle, asking who's who and what crops they grow is always a good ice breaker. Look for the most tidy plots and ask at those first, they normally have the most time to spare chatting and will be only too please to show off their house proud plot.

EnglishRose

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 14:41:42 »
Thank you all so much - some great ideas and some things that seem really obvious now you've mentioned them!  Hopefully the Allotment Sec will be impressed that I've done my research and am really serious about the commitment I'm taking on.

It never occurred to me that there might be things like common manure deliveries and seed-buying schemes; I thought I'd have to figure that out all by myself.  I'll have to keep my fingers crossed - if there isn't anything in place, I may even see if they'd be happy for me to set something up.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 15:50:06 »
Also ask:
Is there a field management committee, do they have an agm, any social events, ie open day, bbq, is there a notice board, is there a regular newsletter, is there a 'trading table'.
On our field we have a 'welcome' pack with gives the rules but also information on who's who and general information about our site.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 18:27:50 »
I think its all been said, so just enjoy it and if its overgrown, dig it a bit at a time, theres no point in burning yourself out the first week.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 19:40:40 »
Take it easy, expect it to be overgrown, so a little at a time. This is a good time to get one as you are limited to what you can grow so there is no pressure to get everything in, you can spend the time getting everything just the way you want it, if you get it dug over you can spread a big manure heap all over in the autumn, by Spring you will all ready to go. If you do have a bit of ground that you can sow in there are a few winter things that it is not too late for.

Good Luck. take it easy and watch your back, don't over do the digging.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal