Author Topic: Bangladeshi-style frame for growing squash  (Read 11182 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Bangladeshi-style frame for growing squash
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:27 »
[attachment=1]

I took this photo yesterday.

I think this is a really sensible way to grow rampant squash!
The plants are on the left and will be trained over the 'roof' of the frame.  The squash will then hang down.

They are growing a Bangladeshi squash which is quite heavy and it works well.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Bangladeshi-style frame for growing squash
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:01:34 »
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=f04b938bd9248ff6ee79d77646aee0c5&topic=2100.15

That looks excellent. It is not unlike Munty's bean frame, shown above, but his has a sloping roof and the beans hang down. I have made one (beans slow to grow this year) but had not thought of putting squash to climb up it.

I did put squash to climb up into my apple tree one year by leaning an old bit of trellis against it and encouraging the plants up the trellis into the tree.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:50:24 »
So that's how they grow squashes in Bangladesh, is it? It does look great, doesn't it. It's a bigger, better-made project than I can imagine making myself! The nearest I've got is trailing them over a clothes horse.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:56:30 »
Looks great! It will also create a nice shady area for those lettuces underneath it when the squash grows.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 18:11:32 »
I am curious to know what a Bangledeshi squash is, there isn't any of that name that I am aware of so believe it must be a geographical description like we hear folks say English beans for broadies, I do know they grow a lot of edible bitter gourds, I would be very grateful if you could get a name for what they are growing or at least a description and usage. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 20:13:08 »
I am curious to know what a Bangledeshi squash is, there isn't any of that name that I am aware of so believe it must be a geographical description like we hear folks say English beans for broadies, I do know they grow a lot of edible bitter gourds, I would be very grateful if you could get a name for what they are growing or at least a description and usage. XX Jeannine

Jeannine,
I have the photo of a packet of seeds that Mohammed gave me about 3 years ago.  They don't seem to call them by a specific name but just a general "Deshi Khadu"

[attachment=1]

They also grow ones similar to Sicilian Snakes with white flowers and soft leaves.  When I see Rahana I'll ask her if she knows the names of them.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 20:26:14 »
That's bottle gourd, which is called dudhi in North India and sorakaya in Telugu in part of S India. I've eaten it a lot it's nice in stews.

I didn't know you could grow it here. But then, why not - all the squashes are tender, we just grow them within a short season. I think I'd quite like to try that some time.

Do you know whether your Bangladeshi neighbours have any problems growing it in the UK Squash64?

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 20:40:56 »
That's bottle gourd, which is called dudhi in North India and sorakaya in Telugu in part of S India. I've eaten it a lot it's nice in stews.

I didn't know you could grow it here. But then, why not - all the squashes are tender, we just grow them within a short season. I think I'd quite like to try that some time.

Do you know whether your Bangladeshi neighbours have any problems growing it in the UK Squash64?

This is a photo of one that Mohammed grew in 2006, which I think was a good summer.

[attachment=1]

Mo doesn't have a plot with us any more but I remember him trying to grow it in 07 but it didn't produce anything.  Do you think it is more difficult than the sort we normally grow here?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 20:55:30 »
Well I tried googling grow dudhi UK and grow bottle gourd UK and from what I could gather, it needs more heat than the varieties of squash we normally use here. Some people said they grow them in the greenhouse.

I suppose when you're far away from home, you just can't resist the idea of planting a little patch of home!

I wonder, if we were in Bangladesh, what we would be trying to grow...

..I'm wracking my brains, but... tomatoes, squash... aubergines... cucumbers... all the stuff we like tends to do better in hot countries! Lucky b****rds!  ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 21:56:44 »
these photos are just so inspirational, so thanks for posting Squash!!!

1066  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:42:44 »
Thank you. I know what they are now I was expecting that.I have those actually.was hoping for a new squash XX Heannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:52 »
How lovely to have such an interesting group of allotmenteers Betty. How many different nationalities have you got on your site. I did meet the lady from Holland when we came. BTW Tell her that I have sown some of my linseed that I got from the healthshop and it took 2 days to germinate. Am hoping that its a perennial.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:54 »
How lovely to have such an interesting group of allotmenteers Betty. How many different nationalities have you got on your site. I did meet the lady from Holland when we came. BTW Tell her that I have sown some of my linseed that I got from the healthshop and it took 2 days to germinate. Am hoping that its a perennial.

Hi Shirl,

I think it's brilliant to have so many different nationalities here, we can learn so much from them.
Was it Teresinha (from Brazil) you spoke to about linseed? If so, I'll tell her.

We have people from
Ireland,
Bangladesh,
Pakistan,
India,
Brazil,
Sicily,
Cyprus,
Kenya,
West Indies,
and England!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:27 »
Well of course I meant Brazil didn't I  ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 18:17:16 »
You'll have to excuse Shir,l she was having one of her moments, It must be the Sun.    8)        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 18:30:31 »
could you post pics of the squash frame later in the season, please? My squash arch/frame never does what it's supposed to, so I might have to think again.

Lovely allotment site. Wish ours was like that

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 19:02:26 »
Everyone I've met so far on our site has been English. But then Hastings still doesn't attract many people from abroad. Well, apart from school trips that is!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 19:03:30 »
could you post pics of the squash frame later in the season, please? My squash arch/frame never does what it's supposed to, so I might have to think again.

Lovely allotment site. Wish ours was like that

Yes, I will keep you updated with the squash frame - I love taking photos!
(can't you tell? ;))

Speaking of photos - here's one of the frame we have made for my BonBons. It's not so professional as the Bangla one, but hopefully it won't collapse!
[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 19:23:17 »
Everyone I've met so far on our site has been English. But then Hastings still doesn't attract many people from abroad. Well, apart from school trips that is!

well you had a whole load of French hooligans come over one time - i'd be grateful it's gone quiet again  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal