Author Topic: aminopyralid  (Read 20391 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: aminopyralid
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2010, 19:11:11 »
There is quite a bit of evidence from other victims' experiences as well as scientific reports, that show that when bacteria release aminopyralid from the manure, it can travel for many metres in the ground water.
It is therefore quite likely that the well water is contaminated with aminopyralid.
I had left a barrowfull on a higher bed, before placing it elsewhere. I later realized that the aminopyralid had spread in the ground water to affect a lower bed, several metres away.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 19:15:53 by realfood »
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 19:13:18 »
Yes aj,same bloke!!

Well, I think someone should call him in a few weeks and ask for some to see if he is still selling it.

*wonders if we should get a 'name and shame' website set up....

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 19:14:27 »
There is quite a bit of evidence from other victims' experiences as well as scientific reports, that show that when bacteria release aminopyralid from the manure, it can travel for many metres in the ground water.
It is therefore quite likely that the well water is contaminated with aminopyralid.

We were told by DOW that it was safe once it reaches ground water.

[Well they would say that, wouldn't they??]

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 19:23:25 »
The aminopyralid is definately not neutralised when it reaches the groundwater. It will be diluted depending on how much rainfall there is.
This is a para taken from a New York report
A supplemental groundwater impact review was conducted by the Department using additional information submitted by Dow AgroSciences on December 21, 2006. The document was entitled “Aminopyralid NYSDEC Leaching Assessment Response” dated December 20, 2006. While the response submitted by Dow AgroSciences, LLC, was informative, the Department could not ignore the inadequacy of the original aerobic metabolism study. Therefore the Department could not ensure that the labeled use of aminopyralid would not negatively impact groundwater resources in sensitive areas of New York State.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 19:49:07 »
We have no evidence of well water here being affected.  Those who have not used manure are mostly clear of the problem.   

I did not have any movement of contamination last year, it luckily stayed put and did not leech downhill.  It seems to be able to affect one plant in a row, and sometimes only a few leaves on a plant.   It seems to be much more of a problem this year than last.  Also there are some areas where there was no problem last year yet there are problems this year with no additional manure.    So I have one affected bean plant in a row grown on my own compost in an area manured last year which had unaffected tomatoes last year. 

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 19:51:38 »
Although I have not had any of your problems concerning Aminopyralid, I have been following the thread since you all started posting. I find it very difficult to get manure where I live, but I would certainly think twice before I used it. Can't anything be done, I do not suppose MP's or the like use A4A very much, too busy in parliament!!!
We need a louder voice. What about starting with your local newspaper so that a wider public can be aware of it. Submit pictures of your deformed crops. Invite them over to see for themselves. And yes name and shame if you are certain your supplier is responsible. Good Luck to you all.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2010, 19:57:03 »
What about a government petition...anyone can start one,, it would be the wording and what the goal behind it was that would baffle me...What actually does everybody want.To recognise allotment holders as part of the food chain. I think you would get tons of signatures. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2010, 20:19:15 »
What about a government petition

I have e-mailed 'You Gov' today hopefully they will give us some guidance!

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2010, 20:38:22 »
Just Googled Aminopyralid, perhaps some of you have read "home grown veg ruined by herbicide (environment) The Observer 2008" about fourth and fifth down. Makes interesting reading. Sorry but I never learnt to do links.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

realfood

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2010, 20:53:18 »
Some of us signed the petition last year opposing the re licensing of aminopyralid to no avail obviously.
I also got my MP to give the relevant Minister a hard time, but I fear that the chemical and farming lobby is too powerful.
Dow fears adverse publicity, so the more articles and programmes that deal with this problem the better.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2010, 20:54:47 »
I'm surprised Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall isn't in on the complaints  :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2010, 21:00:24 »
Well it won't hurt to try another petition especailly if something connected to lotties. go for it Tee Gee, I can get the Canadian folks to sign up too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2010, 20:21:23 »
The last government totally ignored all the petitions, and if anything this lot are even less likely to listen.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2010, 21:14:29 »
The last government totally ignored all the petitions, and if anything this lot are even less likely to listen.

Precisely.

:'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:32 »
You could be correct, but lets not make it too easy for them eh, it ia always worth a go. Might isn't always right!!

XX Jeannine

glallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 14:04:01 »
We have gone through about 8 tonns of manure on daughters plot all good stuff but we have run out for the last 2 8x8 beds. Brainwave as her local farmer can't deliver for a couple of weeks so I phoned a local to us organic farm & we can help ourselves, even told us where the bags were ;) to put it in. We drive past the farm on the way.
Denby visitor it might be worth asking around or perhaps yellow pages, there may be an organic farm locally. If you have to pay it would still be cheaper than B & Q compost.

Manure supplied by organic farms has been affected so obtaining from an organic supplier isn't a safeguard

glallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 14:19:22 »
perhaps Prince Charles might take up our case!

I emailled Price Charles last year.  He did not jump at the opportunity.
But what about brassicas and sweet corn which do not appear to have a problem.
I am sure that the stuff will be thrown out in the greenbins. 
 Perhaps we have not been active enough. 

I too emailed Prince Charles back in 208 when the problem first affected us.

Brassicas and sweetcorn will have absorbed the chemical so in theory shouldn't be composted.

As for not being active enough I think you will find there has been lots of activity on the subject - which is why the stuff was suspended in the first place.  We have had newspapers, radio, TV, MPs, MEPs, gardening organisations and anyone else you can think of involved. The problem is that once the stuff got into the system removing it isn't at all easy.

As for green bin waste well that's another problem.

glallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2010, 14:27:06 »
What about a government petition...anyone can start one,, it would be the wording and what the goal behind it was that would baffle me...What actually does everybody want.To recognise allotment holders as part of the food chain. I think you would get tons of signatures. XX Jeannine

There were two government petiitions set up last year the latest accrued over 2,500 signatures and the governments response is here http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page21280 Two MPs tabled Early Day Motions in Parliament but didn't raise enough support amongst fellow MPs

If you want evidence of everything that has been done visit the links from this page http://glallotments.co.uk/ACManure.aspx and read all the other threads on the forum dating back a couple of years.

glallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2010, 14:29:36 »

As for the EDMs mentioned in my last reply not one Conservative MP signed to support either. One was tabled by a Labour MP and the other a LibDem

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2010, 17:25:20 »
I've seen the evidence and the petitions, the petition I was talking about was different, see earlier post XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal