Author Topic: Preparing for drought  (Read 878 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Preparing for drought
« on: July 05, 2010, 19:23:07 »
Sod's law says if we prepare for another dry summer it'll pee down next year, but given the problems a lot of us are having, and thinking ahead to autumn, what is the best thing to incorporate into the soil to hold moisture, and when is the best time to add it?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Re: Preparing for drought
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 22:05:03 »
Weather forecasting is an art, and some peopel are better at it then others. the strategy ive found is to follow several weatehr sites, and get a consensus. The sitesthat have been most accurate are PWS, Accuweather and Wunderground.

LONG RANGE FORECASTS FOR COMPARISON:

NETWEATHER:

July
July is expected to be a wetter month than June, with air pressure expected to be lower than average to the northwest of the UK signalling periods of unsettled weather with Atlantic fronts running across the country interspersed with drier, brighter and warmer spells as high pressure ridges further north. As often occurs in this situation, locations further south and east stay driest with more frequent settled spells of weather, and that's shown on the rainfall map below. Temperatures overall are expected to be close to the norm for the time of year.

August
August is currently expected to see the return of high pressure more widely across the UK, resulting in a good deal of dry weather. As you can see on the air pressure map below though, with pressure potentially higher to the north of the UK, that may feed winds in from a cooler direction at times, bringing temperatures slightly below average. There is a fair amount uncertainty over August at the current time though.

Autumn
September & October
As usual at this sort of range, confidence really tends to fall away and moreso on this update as even August is causing some real headaches from a forecasting perspective. Currently, September is anticipated to be another drier than average month, with October perhaps reversing that trend and seeing rainfall totals close to or above average quite widely. Temperatures are expected to be close to average in September but a little way above average in October.

METCHECK:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/singularities.asp

WEATHEROUTLOOK:

June
Temperature: Slightly above average
Precipitation: Slightly below average
A spell of rather warm and dry weather is expected to develop early on as high pressure builds across the country. This is likely to break with showers or longer spells of rain returning during the second week of the month. As well as turning less settled temperatures will also fall. Towards the middle of the month drier and warmer conditions may well begin to return.

The second half of the month is expected to bring a lot of fine and settled weather to southern parts in particular, although the north should also have fine weather at times. The settled conditions may well last for much of the second half of the month, possibly becoming very warm at times in the south. Overall temperatures should be above average during the entire period.  

July
Temperature: Close to average
Precipitation: Close to average
The first half of the month is expected to bring a mixed weather, although the emphasis may well be on drier and warmer conditions, especially in southern regions. Temperatures on the whole are likely to be close to the seasonal average.

During the second half of the month it is expected to become increasingly unsettled with the likelihood of some heavy and thundery outbreaks of rain. Some drier and warmer spells are still likely. Although temperatures are likely to be close to the seasonal average overall, significant variations are expected as hot and humid air streams mix with much cooler ones from the north.

August
Temperature: Below average
Precipitation: Above average
The first half of the month is expected to bring some drier warmer weather, but the emphasis is on unsettled and at times rather cool weather as weather fronts push across the country. Some heavy showers of longer spells of rain are expected with the chance of thundery showers.

The second half of the month is expected to be unsettled for much of the time, and generally rather cool for the time of year. Significant rainfall is possible in the form of heavy showers or more persistent and longer spells.    
Forecast Issued 31/05/2010

SO its looking like dry now, dry in Sep, maybe wetter in Aug.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 22:16:25 »
As someone whose birthday is in June, I can categorically state that 'flaming June' is a myth.  The number of sunny days I've had for my birthday in **years is 'very few'.

As we have had the dryest start to the year since ?1929, all amateur forecasters say that the rainfall over the year evens out.  What we are in for is a very wet Autumn.

I remember the very hot Summer of 1976.  The experts reckoned it was going to take three years to fill the depleted reservoirs.  If memory serves it took about three months. ;D

valmarg

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:29:12 »
Apart from the standard good advice to get lots of moisture-retaining compost and manure into the ground, and to mulch round plants, I am trying to plant everything in little hollows to focus any watering I do (have to carry all water up to allotment in milk bottles, so I am not generous).

I also plant rows of things (beans, peas etc) in slightly lowered trenches that I can pour water into. And pull wilted weeds, cut grass, anything I can lay my hands on, over the dips and hollows around the plants. What else can we do?

I remember seeing in Spain and Greece plants placed alongside irrigation channels governed by little sluices from a big retaining tank. At differing times of the day, growers had the right (in strict rotation) to open their sluice and run water along the channels.

In southern Portugal once, the water supply failed to the house I and a friend were minding, so I ran a syphon from a big water tank nearby, that I thought was owned by the landlord, into a bath in the house (plug in....). That way we could at least wash and flush the lavatory.

Actually it belonged to the local farmer, and he was very annoyed with us.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal