Author Topic: Can someone please do an 'idiots-guide' to...  (Read 2447 times)

wraith

• Not So New ...
Can someone please do an 'idiots-guide' to...
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:27 »
how I put photo's up on the forum...?

Preferably in a, b, c, d, e, f, g, etc, etc.... type format so a muppet such as I can follow it...lol

Many thanks,

wraith
Non Timetis Messor

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Can someone please do an 'idiots-guide' to...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 13:06:43 »

Just checking......sent you a message  ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

wraith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 13:19:14 »

Luverly jubberly... Thanks very muchly got it sorted now...

wraith
Non Timetis Messor

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 13:27:24 »
Can we not have this info on a sticky post, as a lot of people appear to struggle with posting pics.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 15:09:09 »
What lovely tomatoes Fork.  :P

Are they this years?

MP

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 22:31:05 »
What lovely tomatoes Fork.  :P

Are they this years?

MP

Sorry MP,no they are last years....my toms still at the green stage at the moment!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 22:54:02 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 23:22:46 »
Hi guys.

I would also like a guide to putting photo's on, I have tried in the past with little success!  ???

I have looked at the above link in the help section but do not find very helpful. I think an idiots guide as a sticky is a great idea for us idiots out there.  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 00:20:27 »
First go to Photobucket.com which is free and download your photos.
Let me know when you get that far and I can help you post them here from Photobucket.  That is the only way I know how.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 13:13:25 »
First go to Photobucket.com which is free and download your photos.
Let me know when you get that far and I can help you post them here from Photobucket.  That is the only way I know how.

you mean upload.

Its easier if you understand what the object of the exercise is and why.

First of all, lets call them 'image files', not pictures, or photos, cos they could be drawings, cartoons, anything.

To show an image on a forum, you need a piece of code in the post you make that looks like this:

[ img] name of image file [ /img]

Now, the problem is, the forum software has to be able to 'see' the image file, ie the image has to live somewhere on the internet, as opposed to living on your computer, in order to fetch a copy and display it in the post. It cant live on the forum, they dont have any spare beds, but there's places where image files can live, there called Image Hosting Sites.

There loads of them, Photobucket, Tinypic, Imageshack, there all the same.

The process of transferring the image file  onto the image hosting is called 'uploading'

Usually there a button on the image hosting site you press that says UPLOAD IMAGES, and you press it and navigate to where the image lives on your PC, select it, click ok. The file then uploads. Usually, you then get a screen that gives you  some links to the file, one of which will be in the format above using the  [ img] tags. You need to copy that link by selecting it all and going EDIT then COPY

So its now on the internet, and you have a link to it the forum can read. You paste the link into the post, and when you click ok and it posts the message, the forum software sees the link, and fetches a copy of the image and displays it.

If you reply to this post, you will be able to see the link for the image below, hosted on Tinypics

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 13:18:10 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SPUDLY

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 21:55:39 »
1. First thing to do is type photobucket into google. Get yourself registered on there.

2. Not sure where you keep your photo's on your computer. I find it easier to copy any i want to upload into my documents folder.

3. Sign in to photobucket. At the top of the page you will see a green box with the words "upload images and videos" click this box. A new window will open for you to select the folder in your computer that holds your photo's. double click the photo you want to send to photobucket. It wil take a few seconds for your photo to upload.

4. Once uploaded it will give you the chance to add a title or tag to your photo. When or if you have done this scroll to the bottom of the page and click save.

5. To send to A4A. At the top of each photo you will see edit, move,share,delete. Click on share. Another window will open. Click Get link code. You want the fifth option down (IMG code). Click two or three times quickly to highlight the code in blue. Now right click the highlighted code and then click copy.

6. Now back to your post at A4A. When you have typed what you want place the curser where you want the photo and right click. Then click paste. This should work ok. Hope this helps. It gets easier when you have done it a few times

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 22:58:24 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone.  ;D

I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 16:03:59 »
Hello

I've come late to this topic, it looks like it's been well covered, BUT here's my thoughts, for what they're worth, plus an alternative way of posting images.

Firstly, I think the Allotments 4 All forum help is misleading [and I say this as a Technical Author who has spent much of hiis career writing online help], because the 'Additional Feature' that lets you navigate to the image file on your PC hasn't been enabled.

Personally, I don't want to go to the trouble of putting my photos onto the web (I've not heard of this Photobucket thing, but there's Flickr, Windows Live, not to mention Facebook).

They way I've done it (hope this works and that you can all see it!) is to put a photo into the Gallery section of Allotments 4 All (difficult to use, not easy to find your own photos).

Navigate to the photo you want to display, copy the address that appears at the top of your browser window, come back the Message you're posting, click the Image icon, paste the address between . See below (not a real photo, just a test).

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 16:05:29 »
Ah! Didn't work! And I'm not sure why - anyone out there who can solve it?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 17:17:50 »
'Additional Feature' that lets you navigate to the image file on your PC hasn't been enabled.

It has but you have to pay a tenner to Dan

Using the free gallery isnt that hard once you have got some images in there..
Click on profile (top menu)
Click on View Gallery
Assuming you have uploaded your images then click on the image and copy the BB Code from the bottom left...
Not sure what you did but your link calles for some PHP script thing - not an image file...I think you copied the url from your browser..that wont work..

The main thing is that you must shrink your pics first...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 17:41:15 »
Thanks to BarriedaleNick for his reply. Lets try this (it's a web-hosted image, but using Allotments 4 All as the host).

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 17:43:56 »
Wa-hay, that worked! (That's just a test image by the way, entitled 'Me hard at work on the lottie'). I haven't done any lottie photos yet, not ones that are any good anyway, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks again to BarriedaleNick.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal