Author Topic: Climbing Plants  (Read 3936 times)

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Climbing Plants
« on: December 08, 2004, 09:29:37 »
Hello All,

Not sure whether to post here or in another section but I'll start here and depending upon the response may post elsewhere at a later date.

Right, here is my problem, I have a large brick garden wall by the side of my pond which to be fair looks quite unsightly.  I'm thinking of using some type of climbing plant to cover the area and was looking for some advice as to which climbers would be best suited.  The wall itself is probably about 4 foot tall and about 12 foot long in total.

Ideally I need something that will be low maintenance (I'm not big on gardening) that will cover the wall quickly (It's quite unsightly at present) and that will look nice as well. - If something that fits the bill can be found that will not shed it's leaves as well (i.e. so they don't fall in the pond) then that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the help

Tony

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Climbing Plants
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 23:42:36 »
Tony, clematis comes to mind, so many varieties and the speed at which some grow is amazing!
you don't say what facing the wall is, which would make a difference to the type of climbers that would be happy there!
Non shedding leaves might be a bit of a problem, the only thing that comes to mind is ivy, and I'm afraid as pretty as it is, I wouldn't put it on any wall of mine! How about a jasmine?
DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 16:33:59 »
Almandii (not sure on spelling) Clematis are evergreen. I love the shape of the leaves of those too.

Where are you? If it's not too cold and a sunny, sheltered wall, you could go for a passionflower, which are evergreen and have gorgeous, exotic flowers.
gone to pot :D

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 23:25:06 »
The wall is North West facing which I don't think is too great, (well as far as growing plants is concerned anyway!)  I'm from the Manchester area which invariably means we get lots of rain, and it's bloody cold as well.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 14:30:49 »
How about a CLimbing Hydranga then? THey do fine in shade. I don't think they are everygreen, though. delicate white flowers (not sure what time of the year, though, only had mine a few months!)
gone to pot :D

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:51:45 »
Hi Anthony
If the wall is only 4 ft tall have you considered bamboo and/or the larger grasses? Virtually maintenance free if you pick the right ones and NW aspect no problem.
Good luck.
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal