Author Topic: Tatton Park  (Read 1252 times)

fi

• Half Acre
Tatton Park
« on: July 12, 2010, 23:11:25 »
Tatton park looks good this year, they will be celebrating 100 years of allotments with 1910 allotment next to a 2010 one. there seems to be a lot more at these shows about growing food than previously, which is good news. anyone been to this show before. is it a posh one?

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Tatton Park
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:37:09 »
Hi Fi,

I've been a few times but can't get time off this year.  It's not as posh as the London shows, but it is still Cheshire after all!

It's much more open as it covers a huge space - be prepared for lots of walking.  The walk to & from the car parking can add to the trek so wear really comfortable shoes.  I've always found it to be relaxed and well managed.  There's the usual jostling at the big show gardens, sometimes they can seem a little strange, as they have been kind of dropped in the middle of a field, but if you can filter that out, there's usually a bit more space to peek in from the sides unlike Chelsea.

Biggest problem for me has been lack of shade and places to sit.  The food is as always, expensive and a bit sugery or burgery (checked I spelled that right) with the alternatives being really expensive and there's nothing nearby that you can go out  to and come back in for, so lots of people picnic in the car park field.

And of course there are serious shopping opportunities all round and the Country Life marquee has lots of lovely craft expensive and impractical things that you can't help drooling over.

I'm going to Shrewsbury again this year.  Smaller but just as much fun and in a lovely location.
Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 14:00:30 »
Tatton park looks good this year, they will be celebrating 100 years of allotments with 1910 allotment next to a 2010 one.

Yes I am looking forward to that and will have the camera at hand as usual! (watch this space)

is it a posh one?

Depends how you define 'posh'

If you mean is it visited by the Queen,royalty and dignataries that don't know a spade from a hoe then no it is not posh!

After all I go ::)

I've always found it to be relaxed and well managed.

I go every year and I totally agree with the above statement certainly beats Harrogate & Birmingham by a long way.

What I will be most interested to see is; if the national finance of the country has an an affect on the amount of trade & garden design exhibits there will be.

Usually it is the best show in the North for this sort of thing so hopefully it will maintain the same standard. In my opinion the affect was very apparent at Harrogate & Birmingham earlier this year.

The food is as always, expensive and a bit sugery or burgery (checked I spelled that right) with the alternatives being really expensive and there's nothing nearby that you can go out  to and come back in for, so lots of people picnic in the car park field.

To a point I agree with this statement, particularly when you consider a coffee is around £2-20 and a small bottle of water is around £1-70.

There are generally two restaurants one (the posh one) is failrly expensive but the other is not to bad considering the location where a large plate (for example) of steak pie and veg is just under £7

And of course there are serious shopping opportunities all round and the Country Life marquee has lots of lovely craft expensive and impractical things that you can't help drooling over.

Thats the reason my wife come with me! ;D

I leave her and her friend to shop till they drop, usually they don't buy a lot but they love the  'retail therapy'. Me I go off on my own with my camera and look for ideas in the miniature and large garden exhibits. Plus I love having a natter with the designers who just love talking to the visitors (good for their ego  ::) )

Regarding expense!! I would agree that 'entry' is quite expensive and it seems to go up every year :'(

As a member of the RHS I am a bit annoyed with them I get the feeling they are getting a bit elitist!

For example; This year first day entry is £25 for members whereas if I went any other day it would be £18 needless to say because of other commitments I can only go on 'first day'  :(

But no matter I am sure I will have another great day, hope the weather is dry at least!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 18:45:24 »
I enjoyed it when I went a few years ago, but if you are travelling by car be prepared for the queues!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 14:17:24 »
Went to Tatton yesterday and had a fantastic time. There was so much to see and I am sure we missed some of it. Food was delicious and although not cheap it was good quality for the kind of event which caters for such huge numbers.

The RHS Vegetable show tent was really interesting, made me think that some of my stuff is not so bad after all! The 1910/2010 allotment bit was good too, and came away with yet MORE seeds, my name is Katy and I am a seedaholic...

[attachment=1]

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 14:46:44 »
Good grief!!  Why worry about it being posh or not? 

The growers and plantsmen and women are just like us - people who love plants and growing things.   Have you listened t oteh accents of the TV presenters?   Strong northern accents from Carole and Christine and Mockney from Joe trying to live down his posh middle class background.

It's a plants and garden show and costs at most £25 for a whole day of enjoyment plus horticultural retail therapy (HRT).  Far better value than a football match or concert then. 

I've been to Chelsea, Hampton, Malvern and Tatton and they're all great days out in their own way.   I wear comfortable clothes and shoes and take a bottle of water and a sandwich because prices on site are high but most of all I hate the queues at the catering stands.   Even so, I enjoy a jug of Pimms with friends at Chelsea and coffee/ice cream/whatever at the other shows.

A camera is a must as it's impossible to take in and remember all the plant combinations and ideas that appeal to, or fire, the imagination.
Obxx - Vendée France

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 14:57:41 »
So glad you enjoyed a visit to an event in my home town ;).

fi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:19 »
maybe i would only go if it was posh!! just kidding, went to tatton park and had a great time left with seeds and loads of pics and had an inspirational day. infact i needed 2 days, 1 was not enough. Malvern autumn show next!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal