Author Topic: I hate these machines!  (Read 2220 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
I hate these machines!
« on: December 04, 2004, 21:38:32 »
I have spent almost all day trying to get this dratted machine to work properly. The CD writer will no longer write Cd's and every time you try, the CD becomes unusable so 50p a time down the drain. AND Every time I try to see if I have got it working I finish up unable to read a Cd or A DVD altogether. Great, but just occasionally we do get new programs, and I do like to listen to CDs while I am on the machine talking to you lovely folks out there.
So System restore, gets its all working again. Until and unless I try to write a CD again.
Why do I want to write a CD? Well I have just done the Garden in December and would prefer to have the pics on CD as well as in the computer. Also I have found a way of getting the pics on to Video tape as a slide show as I have been trying to do for 3 months.
But while the slide show is on the computer I cannot get it on to the DVD player to video. B......r b.......r b.........r. As you can see I am grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! >:( :'(
Thank you for your time!
And the rechargeable torch has just gone plunk so I cannot even go for my walk. THis lane is not one you would want to walk down without some lighting, if only to avoid the mud, dead pheasants and 12" slugs!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 21:40:26 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Hugh_Jones

Re:I hate these machines!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 22:44:37 »
Maybe your CD laser head needs cleaning Eric.
Failing that, perhaps your CD burning programme (Nero?) has become corrupted, in which case you would need to uninstall it and then re-install.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 16:16:56 »
Done that and done that. And guess what, today I manged to save every photo on the computer out to a CD. Phooooo!. Then I did some work on some more photos to try to get them set up for viewing on the DVD player and guess what? Another disc ruined!. So why should it work perfectly once and then pack it in?

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 18:22:18 »
Oh dear Eric there are times when I am just sooooo glad that I'm a technophobic!! Hope you get things sorted out soon as it all sounds too frustrating for words.  :(

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 19:16:31 »
If the machines are out to get you.Do not and I repeat do not, try to set up a free view box. Day wasted and foul mood, so I vented my spleen on pruning the roses.
Store your picture as thumbnails on floppies they are cheaper and rewritable.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 12:03:00 »
Store your picture as thumbnails on floppies they are cheaper and rewritable.

.........and your next machine will come without a floppy drive.

Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 12:14:49 »
I insisted on a floppy drive on this new beast and I'm glad I did. Writing to a floppy is cheaper than a disc. A mate of mine had a 200 Kms round trip to his machine's manufacturer to have a €12 floppy fitted which didn't come as standard.
Getting back to disc writing, or rather NOT disc writing, I'm sure P is doing everything right (no pun intended) but at the risk of being accused of 'teaching my granny to suck eggs', I presume you are closing the recording session in the way you wish re-play it?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 13:33:57 »
Thumbnails have the problem that re-enlarging them loses an awful lot of detail. I also tend to save a lot of pics as .tiff files rather than jpegs, again so that details are not lost. I have a feeling that it is the discs themselves which are not totally compatible with my CD Writer, have just got some different ones to try. OR that despite re-installing the drivers for the Cd writer they are still somehow corrupted.
If I am still unable to write to disc after today, I will fit a new writer, not that expensive and the modern ones are a lot faster. Got Nero 6 due to arrive anyday, so that might be better than Windows own writing program too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal