Author Topic: Potatoless Potatoes!  (Read 5473 times)

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
Potatoless Potatoes!
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:49 »
We have what look like beautifully lush green potato plants some that are starting to flower, so we thought we'd have a little look to see if any of the news were ready for today's dinner  :)

We started by having a little peek, but found nothing so ended up digging right down under the plant, and found a big fat ZERO!! not even the tiniest of attempts at a potato.  How can they look so healthy and not have any spuds at all?

We are racking our brains wondering what we could have done wrong?  Under fed them, Over fed them, Over watered them, Under watered them??

Anyone got any ideas whether its something we can rescue? We have a 3rd of the plot for spuds and are really disappointed  ???

Sally A

• Half Acre
Re: Potatoless Potatoes!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:29:40 »
My guess, and only a guess as I'm not a spud expert - just lucky, is too much manure or similar which encourage leaf growth rather than spuds.

Which variety?, and when did you plant them? Has the weather been very dry?

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 13:15:49 »
The variety is international kidney planted 19th March and it has been pretty dry but we have watered regularly.  We did dig in manure to the beds but thats pretty standard for spuds isnt it thought they were hungry?  Also had a helping of growmore on the top of the rows after planting and again a few weeks ago

Sally A

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 13:46:47 »
No idea  ??? ??? I'd have thought there would be some sign of spuds by now.  Your real dilemma is, do you now dig along to another plant.  Have you dug out well around the plant, rather than directly under the main stem just in case the tubers have spread out?? If so, and still no joy, that is unlucky  :(

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 14:31:01 »
Your problem might be that you used growmore which has an NPK ratio of 7-7-7.
It is not properly balanced for root crops like potatoes which need more potash.

sweetsaphie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 17:16:06 »
mines are the same wonderful plants so big but no potatoes, teeni weeni, like  a pinhead , wont get much chips out of them,

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 19:58:30 »
It's funny you posted this as i couldn't wait either and dug one of my first earlies up and i found only one potato!...
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 20:34:31 »
I had a look at mine too and found nothing. I wasn't brave enough to dig all the way up though, will leave a few weeks and hope for the best. They were planted 29 march in a large bag - also international kidney.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 21:09:09 »
i grew int kidney a few years ago and thought the yield was very poor.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 21:28:43 »
behave and wait until they are ready - they will grow like maniacs in the next three weeks.  Anyway, International Kidney need at least 12 weeks - not 10 weeks and they will be a bit slow getting going this year because we had a cold spring. Water again - they need LOTS

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 21:33:23 »
I think I have made the same mistake!  ??? I have used growmore in my spud pots when I planted.

I had a little firckle in my Swift pot tonight - and guess what, no spuds!!! I didn't dare start to dig around completely, but it was not what I expected. The plants seem really healthy and have showed great growth. They were planted at the end of March.

I am going to leave them until they die back - but does anyone know if they will produce? The problem is I have also used growmore in my Lady Christel, Kestrel and Kind Edwards.  :'(

Please someone give me some good news.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 22:03:01 »
no, growmore will not cause your potatoes to vanish - they just need more time. Wait until the flowers have finished and the topgrowth dies back. They do all their growing in the last three weeks.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 22:05:57 »
I'm sort of glad it's not just me.  I've been really disappointed with the yield from my Swift in buckets and the ground, and Rocket were just as bad.  It's the first time I've grown anything except Wilkinsons cheapest, hoping for better from all the other fancy varieties I'm trying.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 22:18:55 »
Plants reproduce to further the species

Each plant has a different ideal

Potatoes grow underground so a thriving top growth does not indicate a fantastic harvest underneath.

Once the potato tree above ground starts to drop off, new bits grow underneath.

A thriving green growth on top means ........WAIT.

Delicious as they are......be patient before digging up.

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 23:13:55 »
Campanula,

The swift don't seem to be flowering though? However the others are showing signs of flowering.

Like you suggest - I will just try to be more patient.

Thank you.  ;)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:11 »
Don't forget about the frosts, I planted some Swift on the 10th March, and some on the 24th March.
Having a firckle, it looks like the later planted ones are doing better that the earlier, which I can only put down to the earlier ones being hit worse by the frosts.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 17:36:10 »
As said, be patient 12+ weeks, 2 weeks recovery from frosts, later coming up because of the cold weather, give them plenty of water and wait, don't get me wrong I've been firking the rockets with flowers and they are few far between, the only ones I've eaten are the ones in tubs.  :'(    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 19:12:32 »
Interesting post - my Swift, Accord and Rocket got slight frost damage and are taking a long time to recover. Dug some Swift up and got a reasonable enough crop for the two of us, one of the Accord looked decidedly ropey so dug that one up - sort of OK crop, then checked the Rocket - one potato on the first root so that will wait awhile.
The next row are looking decidedly better, but will wait a bit longer ;)

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 19:17:12 »
I am going to leave them until they die back - but does anyone know if they will produce? The problem is I have also used growmore in my Lady Christel, Kestrel and Kind Edwards.  :'(

Please someone give me some good news.

Glen

I planted Lady Christl and I planted the tubers in a row of peat with a scattering of Growmore and I had a look 1 week early and took about 2.5kg from two plants with some cracking size spuds and they taste great.

I have planted Ketsterel and Cara using the same method so will have to wait and see.....

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 21:33:54 »
Iain tell us more about the growmore, I used spud fertiliser from our non working shop and when I asked one of the blokes what it was actualy called he said it was just the same as growmore.  ???      :-\        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal