Author Topic: chives  (Read 893 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
chives
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:12:39 »
I sowed some chives seed inside a couple of weeks ago and there is no sign of germination. Are they slow to germinate and does seed not keep well? It is old seed. The basil I sowed at the same time is well away.

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: chives
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 10:23:54 »
A lot of my herb seeds have also not germinated.  I put it down to the weird weather we have had this Spring. 

I got my chives from a supermarket many years ago and planted them in the garden.  A clump came with me in a pot when we moved here ten years ago!  I now have four large clumps.   ;D

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 19:03:28 »
Could be a bit warm for them to germinate now. Give them time, I'm sure they'll grow. In the mean time, buy a pot of chives from the supermarket and plant those. I'm ashamed to admit but I've used s'market pots for a lot of my herb planting this year, quick and easy.If you wait 'till the plants are 'passed their sell by' date you get them for next to nothing and once in the ground rejuvinate and grow on quickly  :D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 23:46:49 »
My chives are in flower at mo.  PM me your address and I will save seeds for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal