Author Topic: wanted tips for keeping chickens entertained  (Read 8217 times)

jono

• Quarter Acre
wanted tips for keeping chickens entertained
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:20 »
Hi all,
I have an 8ftx8ft inclosure for my 2 black rhodes I have put a large piece of old drift wood I found on the beach in but am after suggestions as to what else I can put in there to keep them entertained???
Many thanks,
Jono

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: wanted tips for keeping chickens entertained
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:11:39 »
If there is anywhere to hang some veg..like cabbage..almost out of reach height..they will have good time of ripping that apart..you can give them any weeds to scratch about..clump of weed grass with rootball as they will love to sort the soil out for any worms etc.
Anything that involve food but it is hard to get at..
Entertaining chickens in pen situation is very important..I'm glad you are even thinking about it..so often you see them just stuck in cage with nothing  better to do than peck each others feathers or scratch the soil where there is nothing left anyway.
Unfortunately for you that job is often donkey job..carrying this and that backwards and forwards..luckily for you most of it can go into compost bin or used mulch.. ;) Try not to do things too easy for them..like if I give some currants for my girls..I cut whole branch off and let them pick the berries themself..and they love to rip the leaves to..
Basically it is just matter either ripping it apart, scratching it apart and/or eating it..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:08:51 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:34:32 »
..just don't get cockerel...for entertaining purposes..you'll get entertained too.. ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:11:46 »
..and...it doesn't have to constant entertainment..couple of times a day will be plenty..don't turn it into full time job..unless you want to.. ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 16:21:55 »
we buy them a straw bale, put it whole in the run and throw their corn into it in the afternoon, evetually, we cut the string and they go mad, scratching in it  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 16:42:47 »
I bought 3 straw bales - which in winter were used for undercover scratching around with corrugated perspex over - then when weather improved there are any number of ways that you can have them climbing up the strawbales for lookout duty or just gazing and using the string you can tie in vegetables for eating and every so often you turn them and you will find millions of little creatures for them to eat - turn again and you can feed them into it and the straw bits grow a bit of green for them to eat - any manner of fun can be had - at last after 9 months they have split open and the straw is just lying about and now the girls are having dustbaths etc and in the evening I chuck their corn in so they have a fair bit more scratching around to do!

Brilliant fun for them and all for the bargain price of £1.50 per bale!

Also if you can make some sort of ladder and some points where they are up highish (hopefully they are enclosed over the top!) just to provide a different angle on life.

;D
O B

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 16:53:44 »
I agree with the straw bales - hours of fun.

I've also tried hanging up DVDs as pecking objects (actually from the cover of the Garderner's World magazine, with Monty Don on) and a light weight football for them to push around.

When I put them in they all look at me as if I was insane, and they've steadfastly ignored them ever since...

If you tie up greens they'll happily stretch and peck, or jump up to them if they're higher.  I heard that it was good exercise, but I worried about their joints when they landed.

The favourite activities of mine are Cauliflower Pecking & Chicken Rugby.  Put a hole through the middle of the cauli with an apple corer, hang it up and watch them demolish it.

For Chicken Rugby, throw some grapes in.  Mine got mad for them, grabbing one then running off, before being chased by the others, who try to grab it.  Hence, Chicken Rugby.  Always makes me smile that they'll focus on one grape & scuffle over it, ignoring the other 5 that have been thrown in.  Until, that is, the 'lower level' chooks sneak in and eat the surplus.

I should stress that they don't hurt each other, just push to get the grapes.  I wouldn't do it if I thought they'd get hurt.

The children love particularly love putting the grapes in.  Hours of fun.
I'd rather be digging my plot

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:46:12 »
thanks for the help, I like the bale idea, how can I keep it dry on rainy days.....Like today!!!! ?????????

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:56:27 »
Code: [Select]
For Chicken Rugby, throw some grapes in.
 ;D ;D ;D..yes..mine does that too..and with cherry tomatoes.. ;D

Code: [Select]
how can I keep it dry on rainy days
well..if your chucks pen is not under cover..you can't...but it doesn't matter it it does get wet..they will still use in various ways..and it just decompose a bit quicker than if being dry..but I would keep them tied up as it will take weeks before they get we through...once they start falling apart then cut strings off and let girls forage trough it..the will be so many insects in there...like in compost bin keeping then occupied ages again..win win..

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 20:52:13 »
Jono after following this thread we bought a tarpaulin sheet on the internet. It will keep the rain out & give them UV protection & was only £11 inc P&P. The sheet itself was only £5ish but we couldn't source it from anywhere else. Straw is next on the menu. Thanks for starting this thread.

ginger james

• Not So New ...
  • are we nearly there yet
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 07:41:36 »
a small light football does wonders an hang some old cds up for a bit genral pecking
thought i saw the light at the end off the tunnel but it was only some bleep with a torch bringin me some more work

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal