Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 2887 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Dilemma
« on: May 16, 2010, 16:06:58 »
I think I am about to get a greenhouse - a good spot to put it would be a the boundary between me and the plot behind me as it will be out of the way, as far as possible from the adjoining park with naughty children etc. However the plotholder behind has been unwell and their plot has rampant bindweed and nettles, as does the allotment to the side of where the greenhouse would go.

So - do you think it would be foolish to put it there as the plants will be under constant attack or shall I go for it and fight the weeds?
thanks for any thoughts on this
Gwynleg

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 16:16:43 »
It depends largely upon what type of floor you intend having!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 17:18:32 »
My experience of having allotments as opposed to now was that weeds can be controlled-vandals cannot

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 19:00:29 »
Thanks Cleo and Tee Gee. I realise that I dont know exactly what I want the green house for. I thought it would be good for raising my seedlings but wonder how realistic that is as I could only go up at weekends to water. The other thing was for growing tomatoes (to avoid blight) and things like peppers, aubergines etc.

I can only have a 6' by 4' greenhouse so not lots of space. I'd welcome hearing how other experienced greenhousers use yours?
thanks

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 14:59:52 »
I thought it would be good for raising my seedlings but wonder how realistic that is as I could only go up at weekends to water.

That`s tricky-you could rig up some kind of system using capilliary matting and a reservoir but it`s not just the watering -also the enormous fluctuations in temperature during seed raising time.

Short of finding a reliable and kind fellow plot holder to help I`m stumped

belairebel

• Not So New ...
  • I am a Dog Lover and proud of it! Pic of my curren
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 13:46:38 »
I was in your position re: placing a greenhouse, year before last. I ended up putting it at right angles to my shed with partial shade from trees, so it doesn't overheat. I'm lucky that I do have an obliging neighbour who lives local to the allotments and goes up each evening. He keeps an eye on it for me re; watering, although I use a capillary system that seems to work well.

First year I used it for seedlings and then peppers and mini eggplant. Result was OK. I tried Tomato's last year but got a lot of growth and almost no toms.

This year, someone has broken the door off so I have only used it for hardening off. If I'd realised before I bought it how little use I would get from it, I'd not have bought it at all. I'd have been better off with a petrol strimmer!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 08:44:45 »
I'd suggest that "real" greenhouses are better off at home, unless you are the type that goes to the plot every day......  I'd not put a greenhouse on my plot now, whereas I have a 14-foot polytunnel at home .... raised a lot of plants there earlier this spring and now it's got a lot of tomatoes, peppers and chillies.... if I had that down the plot I#'d need to be there everyday watering, at home it's just plumbed into an autowatering system and I can give it five minute sof a morning and evening to check it's all OK.... I* don't think it's the amount of work that I do in there that eats up the time, I doubt I spend 2 hours a week on it on average, it's just that it is every day.....

chrisc

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 14:58:12 »
I bought a large greenhouse in the jan sales.

Its a polycarbonate one (this was becuase i live next door to three teenage lads so glass was not an option) I have no floor just soil and this means that when it rains the water table rises enough to water the plants inside.

To stop it getting to hot when you arent there you could try an automatic vent opener this will stop everything from frying.  As to position just use the one easiest to get to and dont worry about what weeds are around (unless is japanease knotweed) put down weed proof fabric in the places where you dont have plants and/or around the outer edge of the greenhouse.

I overwinter semi hardy things such as dahlias, echiums and chillies. grow on my spring seedlings and have permenant space for a grape vine and then tomatoes chillies, cucumbers and melons in the summer.

you could have a water butt on a shelf and run a drip feed from it to help with watering if you plant thirsty crops like tomatoes. If you got a plastic one you could rig up a pipe from the gutters inside with holes along it to water whenever it rains.

Mine would be worth it for the tomato crop alone since i wont have to buy another tom or chopped tomato until october. but its such a boon for early starts and late salads to.

x sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal