Author Topic: Can't believe what i saw yesterday....  (Read 4427 times)

xena

• Not So New ...
Can't believe what i saw yesterday....
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:25:01 »
We went to a well known DIY store and i was having a browse around their gardening section and they were selling Radish plants ::) i kid you not :o now is it just me or is that strange? I was under the impression that they dont transplant and you sow from seed its not like they are difficult to grow...

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
Re: Can't believe what i saw yesterday....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 14:08:22 »
Yup, I saw them at a local garden centre.  A strip of approx 20 seedlings for £3.49!!  Too close to grow to maturity and as you say, rubbish results if you try to transplant.

It seems no coincidence that they have dug up some land to 'grow your own- from £5 per week' to locals who have got the gardening bug.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 21:36:36 »
Hi Xena,

I can believe what you saw today, I was today looking round a rather expensive Garden Centre and guess what, apart from raddish I also saw carrots and beetroot in modules, I spotted a lady picking up the carrots and was about to tell her the truth but my husband stopped me. It is a con and is targeting people who really have no knowledge of veg growing. The one consolation is that these people will not buy them again next year.

Regards Queenbee,
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 23:39:08 »
I saw potato plants for sale in 4L pots!

I'm so cynical these days I didn't even look at the price but the going rate for a 4L plant in that place doesn't bear thinking about.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 00:29:33 »
Maybe someone else wrote about this already but about a month ago I saw a DIY chain selling tomato plants with fully formed ripening tomatoes on them. Sweet peppers too. I also didn't register the price, I was too shocked. For me it's just confirmation that the world, this bit of it anyway, has gone completely insane. No further grasp on reality. I swear I give up.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:10:03 »
Once again, corporate greed.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:00:33 »
Is it any different to people renting an allotment for a year, hiring a rotovator to turn it over then planting nothing?

We have had them, the trouble is they are taking up space wanted by those who are keen gardeners.

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:01:36 »
Is it any different to people renting an allotment for a year, hiring a rotovator to turn it over then planting nothing?

We have had them, the trouble is they are taking up space wanted by those who are keen gardeners.

There is an unintended upside to this though.  The waiting lists for allotments are very long because they include a large percentage of grow your own fashionistas who give up quickly.  The serious gardeners get to the top of the list more quickly and with any luck will follow someone who has spent a fortune clearing the ground, putting in a shed, raised beds and the like.  Also, because the lists are long, more pressure can be put on councils to provide more land for allotments.

One of my bugbears is that some people have 3, 4 or more plots because they took them on when allotments were not popular.  Nothing can be done about it though, but wait   ::) ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:04:23 »
It's a combination of corporate greed and people who know nothing about gardening, want to be part of the fashion for allotments, and want to buy one rather than growing one. People go to these expensive garden centres and buy all the big plants for a garden, it's being extended to veg now. It's like watching these telly chef programs, then going to the supermarket and buying the meal rather than cooking it. They'll soon learn though, you don't keep an allotment going without a serious time commitment!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:14:48 by Robert_Brenchley »

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:09:26 »
"I saw potato plants for sale in 4L pots!"

No doubt planted on from the chitted potatos in a sprinkling of compost in module trays I saw earlier in the season.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:34 »
I had a look in Morrisons and about 3 struggly sweet pea plants for 75p, strawberry plants £1 and tomato plants either 75p or £1, also some dead looking lettuce modules.  I was adding up in my head the money I save, fresh mint is expensive in the supermarket.  Courgettes were two for £1.50 but mine haven't even got started yet, but will wait.  Resisted the strawberries as will wait until mine are ready, if the birds don't get them first.  Bettter net them soon.  Punnets of blackberries are expensive even when in season, just adding up all the money I have saved.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  I don't mind buying veg plants from nursery if my seeds have failed or plants have been eaten and I need replacements but do try and grow from seed.  Can't wait to have a vase of sweet peas every day, think of the money I save on growing my own flowers.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:41 »
Hi Xena,

I can believe what you saw today, I was today looking round a rather expensive Garden Centre and guess what, apart from raddish I also saw carrots and beetroot in modules, I spotted a lady picking up the carrots and was about to tell her the truth but my husband stopped me. It is a con and is targeting people who really have no knowledge of veg growing. The one consolation is that these people will not buy them again next year.

Regards Queenbee,

I always grow my beetroot from modules,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 21:03:19 »
I finally sent my Garden Organic membership back this month after being a member for over 11 years. Firstly, the mag started arriving in polythene bags - not biodegradeable either. Then, the content got less and less with MANY more ads. This month, they are advertising garden vegetable plugs including rocket! Already disgusted beyond belief, I also read that they are now allied with a bloody garden Centre. Myles Bremner  CEO, - were you a banker? What a massive sell out .

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 21:06:04 »
I saw two small sprigs of Rosemary in a plastic bag, imported, for 75p.  My lovely old Rosemary bush at the allotment must be worth hundreds of pounds.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 21:15:48 »

YES they have the next door allotment to me!!!!!! i went down on friday morning and sweated glowed for three hours and then they came down and ate fish and chips in the shed. What really got me though was the chip paper on my plot on saturday morning >:(

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:01 »
I have just come back from a week in Holland, and was stunned to find in a small local supermarket HUGE plants of tomato, courgettes, aubergines and more, all with ripe fruit on them. Went to a garden centre to buy leek seedlings (yes, I grow them from seed, but it is a fad of mine to buy seeds and plants to take home) and saw exactly the same, it seems to be an established trend. Also huge pointless floppy lettuce plants crammed in a small box

Leeks were good strong seedlings, though, and join my patch of German ones from a month ago, and French ones (on last legs, planted last summer).

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 13:29:43 »
Until I got the hang of it, I admit that I bought many plug plants, then I realised how easy it was to grow from seed. HOWEVER there are quite a few people on my allotments that have fabulous plots and I have realised that many of their crops are bought as plants from the local nursery!!! Perhaps if they only want 6 or a dozen of something, it is easier... It must get expensive though! This year I have done everything from seed, (well not spuds or onions) and I have had much better success than in the past, even have lettuce going at the mo which has always been a flop for me.
Some people just have more money than sense, or perhaps more than a strong will?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 19:00:36 »
I finally sent my Garden Organic membership back this month after being a member for over 11 years. Firstly, the mag started arriving in polythene bags - not biodegradeable either. Then, the content got less and less with MANY more ads. This month, they are advertising garden vegetable plugs including rocket! Already disgusted beyond belief, I also read that they are now allied with a bloody garden Centre. Myles Bremner  CEO, - were you a banker? What a massive sell out .

I feel the same way. I'm in the HSL, but no way am I paying the extra for what GO has degenerated into.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 20:26:27 »
 :-\

I know what you all mean, I think I am a beneficiary of the fashionistas, got my new plot in December and at that time think I was 20th on the list. People must have looked outside at the snow and thought the better of it! I have cheated twice this year cos I was so busy digging I forgot to sow brassicas and now have some lovely plants growing which I bought at our own site plant sale. I feel like I have given a bit back to the site!

Radishes as plug plants? Have a word with yourself!!!

:-X

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 20:53:16 »
I'D sell the shine off my boots if I new it would sell ;D ;D ;D

Got them back now to put some tread on them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal