Author Topic: Can't believe what i saw yesterday....  (Read 4428 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Can't believe what i saw yesterday....
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 20:56:24 »
Just the same here, saw someone planting out  2 foot tall pepper and tomato  plants  two or three weeks ago,  both with flowers dripping from them, lasted a few days then wrinkled up in the cool night air. Same person did have a go with seeds though and they have come up beautifully. I haven't got the heart to tell them you can.t grow brassicas one inch apart in 4 inch rows though.

Saw someone else plant a 4 foot area with about 10 pumpkin plants  all with flowers on, told me it was not worth growing them from seed as the packet was as much as a plant... zipped my mouth!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cideristhefuture

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 22:01:42 »
what about 8 radish for £2.49 :o

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 22:40:14 »
Only small disadvantages when growing from seed.

1. The addiction that goes with buying seed in the first place - can't be doing with just the few packets I really need there is always another "must have"!
2. I try and only sow what i need and a few spares - but get really miserable when they all do really well and I have to find good homes for them or compost them. Its like giving away puppies.

Does save  money though - unless you indulge the seed addiction too much.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 23:31:51 »
Oh Suzanne," I gave away puppies" yesterday.. unwanted tom plants went in the trash.. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 05:27:19 »
Many garden centres cater for "mugs" I have visited them but rarely buy plants from them. Everything is so expensive. The last time I bought anything from a garden centre was about 3 yrs ago, while visiting my family in Bristol I noticed that the local garden centre was closing down - that day I did pick up a lot of bargains.
Large brimmed hat for £1.00
Lime 50p
masses of veggie seeds @ 20p
altogether saved myself a bomb
Most of the time centres and supermarkets are out to Conn people trouble is they usually succeed - some people never learn

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:54 »
It is all a matter of providing a service in exchange for reward with commercial outlets of all sorts.

We have replaced videos with DVDs and our vinyl collection with CDs. We buy several packs, jars or tins we will not use for weeks because they are on 'offer'. Swapped our Kitchens, Bathrooms and household furniture because they have become out of date rather than worn out.

Hands up any one who has never bought an item of clothing or footwear on a whim then left it unworn in the wardrobe, cupboard or drawer...........Few hands will be held up with total honesty.

Yet come Christmas we will  dispair because we have to buy presents and just do not know what to buy. Then end up buying overpriced but prettily packaged 'gift sets' the recipient will not use.

We call it mean to share or re-use a tea-bag, yet many will provide two cups of tea. Over fill kettles and heat up more water than we need.

An odd lot, us humans.

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 21:42:01 »
It is all a matter of providing a service in exchange for reward with commercial outlets of all sorts.

Hands up any one who has never bought an item of clothing or footwear on a whim then left it unworn in the wardrobe, cupboard or drawer...........Few hands will be held up with total honesty.

We call it mean to share or re-use a tea-bag, yet many will provide two cups of tea. Over fill kettles and heat up more water than we need.

An odd lot, us humans.

I can admit to not doing that, I never have enough money after the wife and kids do their shopping, I own 2 yes 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 7 t-shirts and 1 pair of trousers. What it must be like to have new clothes every day!, sigh. Oh and the wife shares her t bag with me as my step dad is a yorkie and I love very strong T.  2 tetley bags per cup is nearly there......

Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2010, 09:57:49 »
How about £2.50 for a single healthy looking Tommmie plant (beefsteak) in one of the nurserys in Enfield.     ???  :-[  :-X  :'(       :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2010, 10:00:19 »
My best sightings are

60p for a single cabbage plant (At a National Trust property plant stall)
£1.50 for a single sweetcorn plant  :o at a garden centre!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2010, 12:53:15 »
The thing is that people only sell what someone will buy.  If a line is unsuccessful, they either drop it, repackage it or change the marketing and publicity to make us want it - just like fashion, gadgets and all those tender bedding plants people buy and plant out far too soon.    

I confess I did buy some beetroot in modules a few weeks ago because my own sowings failed after a late frost and I wanted a headstart.  They are doing well, as are the salads I bought in modules for the same reason.  Now, of course, we're having a heatwave so I can't do a successional sowing but no doubt the rest of June and July will be cool enough.
Obxx - Vendée France

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 13:06:18 »
A new allotment holder near me has built a fence around his plot like he was building Fort Knox each strong 3" square post has a metaspike, the fence is tightly strained. Inside he has built large raised beds 1/4 plot size each (it is a small plot) and 12" deep. I don't know why they are so deep because without filling them with any additional soil he has planted soft fruit and rhubarb directly in them. ??? ::) :o

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 08:06:56 »
Seen in local garden centre ,1 potato plant in pot £3.99,wish I had thought of it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 08:15:41 »
I
Code: [Select]
don't know why they are so deep because without filling them with any additional soil he has planted soft fruit and rhubarb directly in them
..maybe he is thinking of turning it into a softfruit feature..and in winter, when it rains ...water feature..2 in 1.. ;) ;D..will keep the roots moist.. ;D

Go on...be nosy and ask him why... ;D ;D..just keep your face straight when he explains why...do it sort of innocent way....maybe he knows something we don't. ;)
Go on.....

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 17:14:37 »
Well next time I see him maybe I will.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal