Author Topic: not pests but pesky  (Read 1384 times)

jokey

• Half Acre
not pests but pesky
« on: June 04, 2010, 18:37:18 »
my two joys in life is growing veg and feeding the birds

this year my sparrows are pulling at my lettuce leaves and shredding them ???
not sure if they are eating them or just been hooligans, its not as if i leave them short of bird food :-\

apart from covering my whole garden is there anyway around this?

i don't mind sharing my lettuce with the birds but i am more than curious as to why they are doing this, are they eating it??

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: not pests but pesky
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 23:23:01 »
Maybe they're thirsty?

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: not pests but pesky
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:11:05 »
my two joys in life is growing veg and feeding the birds

Although this sounds as sensible as collecting stuff so you can throw it away (don't ask) - there is actually a way of making it work.

You only feed the birds that eat insects.

Lots of birds eat anything and everything but you can narrow the odds dramatically by only putting out fat.

Especially in Winter.

Apparently insects are mostly fat (in terms of food value).

There are unnatural numbers of many vegetarian birds (and pest birds) anyhow - there wouldn't be a tenth as many if big farms didn't grow veg via monoculture.

Monoculture plus insecticides means the most rare, useful and beautiful birds die of starvation amongst 'plenty'.

The real pest birds (and other vermin as well) would be ten times less again if we didn't litter the place (intentionally or unintentionally) with absurd concentrations of easy vegetarian food (and waste junk food) that would be totally unknown in a natural environment.

Do all you can to support your local robin - but don't try to help vermin to extinction via carb-fuelled obesity - it doesn't work.

And if you get the chance then shoot your local pigeons with extreme prejudice...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal