Author Topic: Over Wintering Cabbage  (Read 1212 times)

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
Over Wintering Cabbage
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:27:17 »
We have been given a few plants by a friend and he says they are overwintering cabbages. At present we dont have any long term space to give them. My question is would these be best left in the pots that they are in now, potted on into bigger pots or must they be put into the ground now? They are sturdy plants but we have no idea of variety.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Over Wintering Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:03:31 »
You can get away with potting on for a while..or if you have truly large pots spare you could grow in couple in those..
I have couple of containers which take whole large bag of compost if not even bit more and been able to grow 4 desent size heads on those but it is the watering that is the biggest job. So ground would always be best. But if you were to pot on couple of sizes larger pot for now..that should give you another 4 weeks ..but is it worth of hassle?..perharps.. 4 weeks time you could still sow your own winter cabbage seeds and by then you could have some ground ready...

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:05 »
Thanks for the reply. Yes we are going to sow our own overwintering later and we shall have ground ready for them eventually so maybe I shall pot them on for a while then.

http://www.citychickens.co.uk/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:45:03 by worldor »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 20:29:11 »
What about putting say,,,, 8 in a growbag for now, possibly 10.  When you pot them on or have the room, you still have the compost to use around your plot or top up containers.  Should buy you 6 weeks or so.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:53:45 »
Thanks ktlawson. That sounds like a plan.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal