Author Topic: Pond mistakes to avoid  (Read 8276 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Pond mistakes to avoid
« on: May 24, 2010, 11:21:20 »
We're planning a pond for the allotment. It'll be about 3m x 2m with an 8mm butyl lining. We have a small pond in the garden using one of the prefab moulds but wanted something a bit larger and more flexible for the lottie.

We've sketched out the form on the ground but before we start digging next weekend I thought I'd ask if there was anything to be wary of. The sort of thing that when you've finished, you think "I wish I'd done this or that". We won't be putting fish in it and it'll be in a very sunny position.

Cheers for any suggestions.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Maria Staal

• Not So New ...
    • All Thumbs and No Green Fingers
Re: Pond mistakes to avoid
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:55:23 »
I lined my pond with old pieces of carpet and pond liner, to avoid getting a leak. I also have different depths in my pond, including a very shallow area of 2-3 cm deep, for the birds to bath in.
My pond is also very sunny, so I have to make sure to have plants floating on the surface to provide shade and avoid growth of algae.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 12:38:44 »
Thanks for that. I was thinking of having a slope on one narrower end with pebbles for the birds and then a shelf round the rest of the sides of about 30cm for pots. Shading is going to be an issue but floating plants (water lilies) sounds like a plan.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:54:20 »
It is good to remember any slope under water will be slippery walking and rocks/pebbles also will tend to slide unless blocked by something. Slopes need to be planned well or avoided which was my mistake.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 14:21:22 »
I agree with GrannieAnnie,  the cats and hedgehog drink from my pond and all the pebbles get pushed down into the deep bit so it's often bare liner.  You could grow rhubarb near the edge, it shades the pond really well , you get a crop, and if you squint, you can pretend it's gunnera near a huuuuuuge pond!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Maria Staal

• Not So New ...
    • All Thumbs and No Green Fingers
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 16:28:55 »
I love the idea of having rhubarb near my pond. That's a great idea!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 17:47:27 »
Make it deep enough that you don't have to fish out dead frogs in the spring :(

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 18:58:06 »
Thanks for that. I was thinking of having a slope on one narrower end with pebbles for the birds and then a shelf round the rest of the sides of about 30cm for pots. Shading is going to be an issue but floating plants (water lilies) sounds like a plan.

Water lilies come in small, medium and large. Don't be tempted to buy  a large water lily for a small pond like I did(well the garden centre had a special offer on ::)), you will regret it. Small is beautiful ;D

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 19:00:11 »
Are you having fish?

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:51 »
Thanks for that, might scrap the slope then and just have a shallow ledge at one end. We won't be putting in fish I don't think.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 20:17:32 »
.....well dug about half a pond today, hopefully finish it off tomorrow. I'm searching online for a solar powered fountain and have found this one http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/solar-garden-pond-fountain-pump-with-battery-009700-005.html - no electricity on the allotment so solar power is the  only option really and as it's pretty sunny here hopefully it'll be ok. Does anyone have any experience with solar powered fountains? As I said, we get plenty of sun and having it nicked shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 10:36:48 »
My tiny pond is all of about 5' long, 2.5' wide and a foot deep! I worried about it being too shallow but recently read that this is actually quite good.

I do have a trio of fish which have survived there since early 2007 (one was from 2006). It means tadpoles don't survive, but then again, neither do mosquito larvae. It is also full of elodea pond weed (which grows like topsy so you need to weed it out every now and again!). As for plants, I've got native iris pseudocorus (again taking over a bit at the moment) and a couple of pots with a miniature water lily in.  The elodea and lilies pretty much stop algal growth.

If you are going to have a fountain, don't get waterlilies. They hate moving water.

I dug it out of our stony soil, and put proper lining material down to stop remaining stones punching through the butyl. I figured I might as well do it properly. Glad I did!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 17:25:28 »
It might depend on the type water lilies. I've had native lilies in mine since 2003 with a fountain and no problem though the fountain isn't right in the center of them. Still the water moves around quite a bit but they don't seem to mind. These lilies don't have to be removed in the winter- a real plus.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 17:51:40 »
I used to have two ponds in my previous house, one with lilies and one with fish. Sadly since moving I have been too unwell to undertake the necessary excavations for even a modest pond and friends look at you like you are a madman when you say, "fancy giving me a hand to dig the hole for a pond?" - I miss the ponds terribly, but digress from the point of this thread.

A friend made the mistake of locating his pond under an old cherry tree. It looked lovely when established but was the bane of his life as twice a year it filled up with leaves or fallen blossom; It wasn't really designed so that it could be netted - too many tall shrubs and irises around the perimeter, so he was stuck with raking out the gunge.

My very first pond was inherited and also badly situated - it got full sun almost all day long and was surrounded by a love alpine rockery, so no tall foliage to provide shade. I ended up planting lots of taller water plants around the perimeter and plenty of floating vegetation to try to help but even so it was very susceptible to temperature fluctuations, loads of algae, and never really thrived. Although I remember the lily loved it.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 23:22:32 »
I used to have two ponds in my previous house, one with lilies and one with fish. Sadly since moving I have been too unwell to undertake the necessary excavations for even a modest pond and friends look at you like you are a madman when you say, "fancy giving me a hand to dig the hole for a pond?" - I miss the ponds terribly, but digress from the point of this thread.

the next time your friends mention needing to lose some weight offer them the option of the pond digging exercise- really worked for me. Maybe you could cook them a fantastic meal in return?
It took me a month to dig my pond by myself, and I was in extremely great shape afterwards. Now however, I'm looking like I need to dig another!  I hope you get to put one in. They really add so much interest to the scenery.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 23:56:54 »
We had a small wildlife pond in our last home, and I've been toying with the idea of a tiny one here in our very small courtyard garden.  We have a bed at the side of the patio, and I was thinking of digging a hole and sinking one of those big buider's type flexi trug things.  it wouldn's be easily punctured, and I think would withstand sun and extreme cold.  i'd put a log in it so that small things could get out if they fell in.  Do you think it would work?  I just want the sound of the frogs back!

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 20:01:33 »
Thanks for all your replies and insights. Tomorrow is the big day when the water goes in  :)

Quick question though, we've ordered a fountain but I have a doubt about its placement - is it best placed in  the deepest part so it would have to go on some sort of stand or in a shallower area but not so central?

Cheers!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 22:02:08 »
Away from the sides so you don't lose water from the spray

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 22:03:58 »
We had a small wildlife pond in our last home, and I've been toying with the idea of a tiny one here in our very small courtyard garden.  We have a bed at the side of the patio, and I was thinking of digging a hole and sinking one of those big buider's type flexi trug things.  it wouldn's be easily punctured, and I think would withstand sun and extreme cold.  i'd put a log in it so that small things could get out if they fell in.  Do you think it would work?  I just want the sound of the frogs back!
Sounds good!  No matter what the size, the water reflects the sky and adds a lot of brightness to the garden as well as life.  I hope you get your pond.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 23:32:22 »
elhuerto, did you order the fountain in the link on one of your previous posts?

I was wondering if to get one, did it work okay?

Sinbad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal