Author Topic: Pond mistakes to avoid  (Read 8275 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Pond mistakes to avoid
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 08:18:57 »
I didn't get that one in the end, decided it wouldn't be powerful enough. I ended up getting one locally with 5W solar panel / 500 litres per hour. It was advertised as having a water spout of up to 90cm but it's probably double that - glad I went with one with a bit more ooomph.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 13:02:32 »
I didn't get that one in the end, decided it wouldn't be powerful enough. I ended up getting one locally with 5W solar panel / 500 litres per hour. It was advertised as having a water spout of up to 90cm but it's probably double that - glad I went with one with a bit more ooomph.
What is the size of the solar panel in inches or cm? I'd like to have a tiny one in a birdbath someday.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 15:19:05 »
It's about the size of a sheet of A4 page, maybe a tad wider but not much.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 17:05:26 »
It's about the size of a sheet of A4 page, maybe a tad wider but not much.
what is A4 page?  or do you mean A4A- but that would depend on the size computer screen.
How about an estimate in cm or inches?

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 17:15:21 »
Hope this helps ;D

A4     297 x 210 mm     11.7 x 8.3 in
War on slugs and snails!!

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 09:46:43 »
Just checking on autumn / winter care of pond and plants and came across this article https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/beplantwise/knowwhatyougrow/index.cfm#parrotsFeather - I have 3 or 4 of these in the pond, look very pretty but I'm wondering now if it was a mistake and should consider taking them out - what do you reckon?

It's unlikely they'd make it to any rivers here (there aren't any nearby) but my worry is that they may take over the pond and be difficult to remove if they get rampant. I've also read that although sold as an oxygenating plant they can actually reduce oxygen levels.

Cheers.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 11:05:28 »
We have it and periodically I rake some out and use it in the mulch piles. Our fish have survived sharing the pond with it over the winters. We have a fountain which helps oxygenate the water except in the winter when pond freezes over.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 20:55:47 »
Pictures of it would be nice, in fact any pictures of planted ponds would be useful...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal