Author Topic: bald chicken  (Read 2817 times)

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
bald chicken
« on: May 18, 2010, 22:04:47 »
Could anyone give me some advice on this?

My black rock is losing so many feathers she looks like a battery rescue hen!  :o

She's happy, active and laying, just bald. I don't think its mites as the hen house is treated every time it's cleaned. When I picked her up to check her she was very hot.

Any tips on helping her re-feather?

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
Re: bald chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 23:04:36 »
Hi,

Does the hen have any signs of feathers starting to re-grow? If she has feather stalks coming through then she sounds like she could just be going through a seasonal moult.

A pictures of the hens condition would make it easier to judge, if you can get access to a camera...

They do look a mess when moulting, when a couple of mine we last going through a moult, I did worry that people with no experience would think they were not being cared for due to the state of them.  ::)

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 23:30:04 »
The new feathers are coming through, but not as you'd expect with a normal moult. Part of her are completely bald, it's almost as though she's preening out the new feathers.

However, as she's laying regularly I don't think it's stress feather pecking.

Will try to get a photo tomorrow.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 19:21:14 »
It is a bit early for molt.. ???

Code: [Select]
"I don't think its mites as the hen house is treated every time it's cleaned"How often do you treat the house? If you chickens were to have mites etc..and you only treat the house they could still have them and re-infest the house...
What do you use for the house?

When chickens are trying to regrow they feathers is takes lot out of their nutrition.. so extra help is needed..and if she is laying as well...
She will need extra protein..which you could give by mixing some dogmeat into some layer pellets..also poultry spice is good during moulting..or any other form of mineral/vitamin supplement for poultry.
If she is at the bottom of the pecking order and they all are in general need of extra protein..they can turn to the bottom one as the supplement for their dietary need..feathers are protein...

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 23:25:26 »
goodlife - Thanks for the advice.

Supplementing their food seems be the best bet. I'll give them some of the dog's dinner!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:27:00 »
You can use tin meat but loaf sort would be best..jelly and gravy is waste.
Or you can give dog bisquits..complete ones..which has been soaked in water soft..just make sure neither is made with poultry!
And when I said about mixing into you layers pellets..you can use layers mash too but either is need to be mixed in as otherwise they will fill themself up with just meat and not even bothering anything else and they do need balanced feed for laying...
Jush enjoy the seen as they start gorging ..it's funny to see and hear the noises as they eat ;D ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 22:05:02 »

Supplementing their food seems be the best bet. I'll give them some of the dog's dinner!

Tinned tuna is good for feather regrowth, especially for exbats. Also probiotic yoghurt.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 22:11:10 »
Yes tuna works..but the eggs may get a bit fishy taste to them..I would not use fish while they are laying..during molting when they are not laying, it is not an issue...

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:48:35 »
Just sounds like a moult to me. Usually the best layers seem to have a severe moult but she will soon be wearing her new summer dress and ready to impress Im sure. One os my black Auracanas is like that at the moment. She is just at the end of a broody session and the shed is full of her feathers every morning. I am not concerned as I am sure she will be beautiful again soon.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 16:39:07 »
Yes it does sound like moult..but mine never has molted this time of the year..nor have they laid any eggs during the moult...
No matter what breed I've had they have always changed their behavior too when in moult..much more quiet, shy, little more nervous..never as lively as normally..they are not as hungry neither..
I expect mine to moult again back end of summer..early autumn...
..yeah..they do look like been having a round with Roland..but with heads on.. ::)..and then they are so beautiful again..all shiny new feathers ... ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal