Author Topic: ROOTRAINERS  (Read 10334 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
ROOTRAINERS
« on: May 11, 2010, 21:15:23 »
I was given a root trainer set [root trainer deep, holder and lid] as a Christmas present. I wanted to buy another but was shocked at how expensive they are. How long do the root trainer inserts last. Does anyone know of way to buy them a little cheaper than the garden centre?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: ROOTRAINERS
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 21:38:54 »
They don't come cheap you could try http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/Garden/Rootrainers/
I think someone on ebay does used ones, might be worth a look.
Mine have lasted quite a few years and are still useable, although expensive to buy they have been reused many times each season to good effect.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 22:08:48 »
I get one or two sowings a year in mine, the oldest inserts are about 5 years old, and some of these I've just had to replace. It's really a matter of how careful you are with them when empty, where you store them, and how much time they spend out in the elements.
In total I now have 9 32 cell units, 4 of which I bought this year. As posted they're cheaper if you buy direct from haxnicks.

amphibian

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 23:24:11 »
I've been using them for years, I use them for corn and always had great results, for some stupid reason I didn't use them this year, my corn is not as good looking as usual.

Just be gentle with them.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:39 »
Five years here too but as has been said be gentle with them,I get two sowings a year with them.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:57 »
I've used mine for about five years too. Mine have all 'gone' along the bottom hinge and each side part is separate but they still fit together fine and hold together when in the frames.  They get a bit tatty along the edges but really they are pretty sturdy.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:12 »
I got mine second hand from eBay last year, got a bulk purchase of 12 sets , and they sent me a load of spare cells too. They looked barely used (I'm guessing from an ex commercial enterpise) so I can recommend them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-Rootrainers-Deep-used-Root-trainers-2nd-grade-/140395625600?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Pots_Window_Boxes_CV&hash=item20b03b3c80
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 10:06:26 »
I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years.  I think they're great, and get good results from them.

I use them two or three times during the season.  They're getting a bit bashed now, but still fine to use.

Alison

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 15:16:48 »
I havve had mine for a couple of years and they are still ok, I have runner beans in them at the moment . In July I shall start off my spring cabbage in them and transplant in September so they get used twic.I never leave the out to get damaged by the elements. After use I rinse them with soapy water and rinse them in Campden tablet solution ready for the following season.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 16:51:14 »
Thanks for all the replies and that link to the ebay seller.
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 00:30:20 »
I know they work, but I simply won't buy them while they are made from plastic 2-3x flimsier AND more brittle than the tray that comes free with my sausages (ironically, it's a tray I don't need and actually don't want).

It's ethically appalling and  indefensible to make something out of such absolute crap to the point where you're almost afraid to touch it.

This is entirely separate from any green issues - I object because it's total abuse of the underlying spirit of patent and copyright - working against efficient home production of food - a cause which is morally entirely without blemish.

I simply refuse to support their approach. I'd rather put some effort into making my own containers that are just as good - it's actually less effort than treating rootrainers that carefully.

It's not the huge profit that really bothers me - I'd be quite happy to pay 10-20% more for a version that was two or three times as thick. They would still cost nothing to make - so their profit would be even bigger if they did that.

The fact that all you guys are making them last despite their best efforts to screw you proves they would actually make more profit from a decent product...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:42:50 »
I know they work, but I simply won't buy them while they are made from plastic 2-3x flimsier AND more brittle than the tray that comes free with my sausages (ironically, it's a tray I don't need and actually don't want).

It's ethically appalling and  indefensible to make something out of such absolute crap to the point where you're almost afraid to touch it.

This is entirely separate from any green issues - I object because it's total abuse of the underlying spirit of patent and copyright - working against efficient home production of food - a cause which is morally entirely without blemish.

I simply refuse to support their approach. I'd rather put some effort into making my own containers that are just as good - it's actually less effort than treating rootrainers that carefully.

It's not the huge profit that really bothers me - I'd be quite happy to pay 10-20% more for a version that was two or three times as thick. They would still cost nothing to make - so their profit would be even bigger if they did that.

The fact that all you guys are making them last despite their best efforts to screw you proves they would actually make more profit from a decent product...

Cheers.

All very true.

You should email it to them.

They need to wake up and make a better product, because it is a great idea which produces great results.

Squashman

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 19:16:52 »
I bought a whole case from Rannash several years ago, cost 2.75 each set. I sold most on at cost to fellow allotmenteers, and we are all still using them. I use mine on an average of 3 times a season.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 23:46:41 »
All very true.

You should email it to them.

They need to wake up and make a better product, because it is a great idea which produces great results.

Sad to say, I'm absolutely certain they know exactly where they stand on this and are happy to continue indefinitely.

Only reducing their profits will make them re-think.

You'll all just have to wean yourselves off them before you need to replace them!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 01:32:23 »
I got mine second hand from eBay last year, got a bulk purchase of 12 sets , and they sent me a load of spare cells too. They looked barely used (I'm guessing from an ex commercial enterpise) so I can recommend them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-x-Rootrainers-Deep-used-Root-trainers-2nd-grade-/140395625600?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Pots_Window_Boxes_CV&hash=item20b03b3c80

if you look at the sellers items they have more for sale not sure what the difference between rapid and deep are though.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 10:30:56 »
It's the size of the cells Louise, the 'deep' ones are 11.5cm in depth, the 'rapid' are 8cm deep. My have all been used this year again, I grew all of my sunflowers, beans and sweetcorn in them.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 00:52:35 »
Wish I had more than one set (they are just sooo expensive) I love the way they seem to stay moist so much longer and you can get 32 plants into a gravel tray (or propagator) with them ....The sweetcorn comes out of them next week and I'll probably start some parsnips or carrots in them next.....

The deep ones are thugs for compost and it's surprising how much they weigh when they're full......

crisc

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:01 »
I use mine every year and they are starting to fall apart, i am appalled at how much a new set will cost, but they are sooo good, when the root trainers are full the toilet rolls kick in  ;D

belairebel

• Not So New ...
  • I am a Dog Lover and proud of it! Pic of my curren
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:35 »
If it helps - a neighbour of mine at the allotments replaced her cells with rolled up newspaper. She wets it and forms it around a stake and then inserts them into the holder. The advantages are 1) it costs nothing and 2) you don't need to remove the newspaper when planting out. The holder acts perfectly well with her home made rooters.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:08 »
One of the local allotment sites has them in and they work out so much cheaper, i pay 21p to replace a 'book' and mine are about 5 years old so compared with cell trays they hold there own and work so well.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal