Author Topic: Hungarian Hot Wax chillies  (Read 2888 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Hungarian Hot Wax chillies
« on: July 14, 2010, 14:22:37 »
I'm growing these chillies for the first time this year. I have a good crop so far with 15-20 chillies per plant.

Can someone advise me on when they are ripe enough to eat? I ate one of the biggest ones yesterday (yellow / green colour as described on the packet) but, disappointingly, it didn't tase of anything really and wasn't even the slightest bit hot (I know they are a mild variety but I would have expected to have found at least a little hottness?!).
 What affects the taste / spiciness of the chiliies? I was wondering if I might be overwatering them?
Many thanks,

Trevor

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Hungarian Hot Wax chillies
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 15:38:16 »
Hiya, wetandcold, we're growing the same ones, have done for a few years, I take them green or yellow to use as mild ones, as they go red they get hotter, I made the mistake of thinking they were sweet peppers the first time and bit into one, ow  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 00:07:25 »
Hot Wax is supposed to be barely hotter than an Anaheim, though I'm surprised that it didn't tast of anything at all... are you sure you    haven't got a rogue Frigitello in there (sweet pepper, looks like a chilli)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 23:16:02 »
I'm growing these chillies for the first time this year. I have a good crop so far with 15-20 chillies per plant.

You're doing very well to get that many mature chillies this early, but it is really early for them and I've always found that mild chillies only get flavour and heat when they've had a long hot summer - a hot June/July isn't really enough.

Also giving them as much water as they want will tend to produce a bigger crop with less flavour...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal