Author Topic: National Bindweed collection  (Read 5453 times)

delboy

• Acre
Re: National Bindweed collection
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 23:41:44 »
Put it in water and put a lid over the bucket or, in my case, dustbin.

After a few weeks the liquid makes a good feed.

The next year it goes on the compost heap.

Shimples
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 18:02:46 »
The one thing I'd add to that is that it will also root from a buried stem.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 18:52:21 »
 but it's not recomended to eat them very often due to the purgative effect.

Who cares? get the celeb gardeners and celeb chefs round to dig the bloody stuff out. Most of them talk the effects of a purgative anyway ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 19:20:09 »
On the subject of getting rid of terrible weeds - repeating myself a bit (said the same about couch).

You're crazy to burn it while it's damp or still floppy because of the smoke nuisance.

You'd be even crazier to burn it when it's dry enough not to smoke - at that point it is crunchy and 100% dead and all that fertility can go through your compost heap with no further effort - it simply disappears no matter how crap your composting technique is...(I should know).

Bindweed roots dry much quicker even than couch - they don't seem to have a skin on them.

A week in dry weather will do it, but hedge your bets by putting it on a raised mesh or grille so if it does rain the soil will wash off the roots and it will dry all the quicker when the sun comes out.

A big problem just requires a chicken wire hammock to dry it all.

If you can't get it out of the clods the answer is to dry them and then hit them with a lump hammer - it doesn't take much effort to smash it small enough to get every bit.

If the clod isn't dry enough to smash easily then dry it some more...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:46 »
I compost them. They die like everything else, and couch doesn't last very long in a bin. I think the antipathy to composting them comes from the tradition of open-topped heaps where they'd be able to establish themselves.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 00:00:47 »
I compost them. They die like everything else, and couch doesn't last very long in a bin. I think the antipathy to composting them comes from the tradition of open-topped heaps where they'd be able to establish themselves.

Any composting is good composting, but I don't like the idea of perennial weeds making merry in my wonderful compost - and it feels like they are even if they aren't!

Are you relying on purpose-factory-made bins? (which I don't like enough to pay for), or does it still work with the classic 4-pallet cube with carpet on top?

If there's any uncertainty about whether I'm going to find 'strings' of roots in my compost, then I think the tiny effort of drying them to death is far less than the effort of finding and separating them out again...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 17:46:42 »
I use the factory-made bins. It would work in anything lightproof. A heap with black plastic over the top kills them just as efficiently.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 22:01:08 »
They don't sound delicious, do they!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal