Author Topic: victoria plum tree sap  (Read 6372 times)

Corribee

• Not So New ...
victoria plum tree sap
« on: April 20, 2010, 20:37:04 »
I have a victoria plum tree which I bought last year about 7 foot tall, it had apx 5 plums on it.  I lightly trimed it in autumn, just taking the ends off the branches so it would spread outwards.  It is now just budding and there is orange sap coming out ofr the tree, on the buds and joints of the tree, bubbling out.  Is there an insect burrowing in it or is this normal.  Any ideas appreciated

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: victoria plum tree sap
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 20:42:06 »
I've seen resin ooze from plums, though i wonder if it's a bacterial canker.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 20:45:29 by Unwashed »
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 20:46:00 »
This might be helpful.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 00:17:13 »
I'm not sure, its actually like a resin but does not seem to set hard, looks sticky

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02:13 »
There has to be something wrong as the tree shouldn't be leaking like that.

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 21:13:35 »
The plum tree has now come to a holt, the buds have not opened any further for a couple of weeks now ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 21:51:10 »
Corribee....your tree might have become holt as it has been so dry...?
If you tree survive..do not let it set any fruit this year..ideally it should have been left to grow in first year and not fruit..
As you left the pruning a bit late of the year It could be that the cutting wounds never had chance to properly heal..and now are "leaking" resin like stuff..sugary sap?..
Leave any pruning this year..it doesn't spoil it..and next year, prune you tree when it is still actively growing so it has chance to heal the cuts before winter..
I would not do any pruning to plums after mid-August..
And keep your tree well fed and watered.. ;)

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 22:47:40 »
I forgot to mention the tree is in a pot, which despite being buble wrapped, has blown.  I plan to put it in the ground soon.  Thanks to everyone for your help and I will not let it fruit this year or prune. :)

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 18:26:55 »
treat the tree with bordeaux - you can dust it on where the sap is flowing in case it is bacterial canker - although there is no cure, really. i have a cherry, 7 years old which has had a leaking wound between the trunk and a major branch for 4 years. My intial inclination was to remove it but i give it extra food and water (it is Lapins/Cherokee and known to drop many cherries early in the season) and a spring dusting of bordeaux. So far, I have managed to keep it cropping well. That is, well for the blackbirds!

main branch and trunk

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:28 »
The plum tree has still not moved on at all. But it is still green under the bark, is it worth keeping it ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 10:02:40 »
I would take it out now...all my trees have leaves well and truly out..flowered and fruit set...so your should have done something by now if it were to grow... ::)
Sorry for that...don't let that put you off..dig it out...do some ground work on that spot this summer..add more compost and fork it and maybe grow something useful on that spot...pumpkin..cougette....beans..? And then by next winter you could have another go...If you do not have another spot for new plum tree..I would still plant another one on same spot.. :o..Yes I know...some are going to grumble.. ::) What ever killed your tree would have been most likely airborne and got in through pruning cuts...less likely soil born..
So you might as well get use out the space..it makes your soil better too and gives it a chance to "rest" untill you may put new one in..and if you do..do ask us before you prune ;) ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 17:48:06 »
Time to get rid of it, unfortunately. I had a plum tree die on me a few years ago, but the replacement is fine.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal