Author Topic: Mixing toms in a growbag  (Read 4541 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Mixing toms in a growbag
« on: May 08, 2010, 16:53:24 »
Are there any disadvantages (or advantages!) to putting tomatoes of different varieties in the same growbag?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Mixing toms in a growbag
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 16:55:53 »
I did it last year and wasn't aware of any problems with it. I had to! I have a 6x8 greenhouse and try to grow as many different varieties as I can. :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Mixing toms in a grow bag
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 17:11:44 »
I often do it and have no problems. Mind you, I only put a maximum of two tomato plants to a 60 lit grow bag.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 17:20:12 »
60l is a pretty good bag?  And pricey?
Most bog-standard ones are nearer 38l - & they have crosses for THREE plants!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 17:33:48 »
I have never used just growbags.  Always been a bit apprehensive as to whether the roots would spread OK in such a shallow bag.  I know some people cut the bag down the centre and turn it on edge.  Have also planted straight in the border but got sick of digging it out every other year, so now plant them in black buckets.

Anybody got any photos that might sway me towards just growbags?  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 17:35:54 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 17:38:49 »
Thanks. Can I add another question- how much water would you give the bags before planting? I thought they usually give a suggested volume, but these just say "water thoroughly".

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 17:42:15 »
We planted 6 to a growbag last summer- they got very tangled up, and we hadn't a clue what we were doing, but we still got loads of tasty toms that bore no ressemblance to the supermarket ones.  This year we're doing pots in the conservatory, tumbling ones in the chimney pot planters and various other pots, and only putting 3 in a growbag, for which my OH has made an impressive trolley out of decking.  As everyone can see, we're now INTO tomatoes!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 15:06:30 »
Are there any disadvantages (or advantages!) to putting tomatoes of different varieties in the same growbag?

No

Do I like grow bags-No

But that`s just me :-)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 19:39:38 »
I'm using growbags with pots on top to give some extra depth.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 20:44:21 »
3 to a grow bag for me (different varieties) and some in pots as well.

cyril

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 01:05:41 »
was thinking of putting some in baskest?would i be able to use any kind?cheers

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 07:48:37 »

if you mean a hanging basket then Tumblers

cyril

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 08:52:37 »

if you mean a hanging basket then Tumblers
right then i have to get th eright ones to grow in the baskets.cheers.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 09:00:36 »

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:38 »
I use the grow bag material but put it into large buckets which can be washed out and re-used.

Last year I did try a growbag and the plants did not grow as well as the others which were in buckets.

The grow bags were too shallow and made the plants more wobbly.

By using buckets  can move the plants around too, that can be handy and a few summers ago it got so hot for a few days, I actually had to move the plants out of the green house during the day.

Mixing different varieties of tomatoes in a grow bag, even growing a cucumber and tomato in the same one is practised so go ahead if that is what you want to do.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 10:08:22 »
I have tried grow bags a couple of times but always revert back to my precious "black buckets".....I do fill the buckets with grow bag compost though.I found it difficult to get the watering right with the bags.

One chap here stands his grow bags on end and bangs them up and down.He then lays them flat and curls the empty end of the growbag underneath.He's then got a smaller in length but thicker bag in which he plants 2 tomatoes.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

cyril

• Not So New ...

cyril

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14:27 »
I have tried grow bags a couple of times but always revert back to my precious "black buckets".....I do fill the buckets with grow bag compost though.I found it difficult to get the watering right with the bags.

One chap here stands his grow bags on end and bangs them up and down.He then lays them flat and curls the empty end of the growbag underneath.He's then got a smaller in length but thicker bag in which he plants 2 tomatoes.
not meaning to sound twp but do you have to put holes in the buckets for drainage ???

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 12:03:55 »
I cut the bottoms off the buckets and push them into the greenhouse soil, the plants get a good start in good multipurpose compost before the roots reach the soil. At that stage I feed the bucket and water the ground.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:26 »
Wilkinsons sell "Tomato Pots" which are 12" tubs with no base (eg pot-shaped tubes). You can use these, sunk slightly into a gro-bag or border. I used them so that I could earth up around some slightly leggy tom plants - the main rootball was just set to head down into the gro-bag and earthing up prompts the plant to shoot out more roots up the buried stem. This gives a more stable plant and more roots mean it can take up more food.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal