Author Topic: tomatoe plant question  (Read 1010 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
tomatoe plant question
« on: May 05, 2010, 00:13:34 »
I am growing sweet 100 and sweet million do I grow these as courdons or are they bush varieties and I take it that courdons I pinch out the side shoots, Ive done a search on the internet and I'm more confused now than ever because I get results for both ???

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
Re: tomatoe plant question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:21 »
They're both cordon varieties.
So yes, you support them with a nice sturdy bamboo stake and you pinch out the side shoots.

Are you ok about knowing what a side shoot looks like? The first year I grew toms (back in the dark ages), I enthusiastically began nipping off the new-forming flower trusses as well...  :-[  Fortunately, my old dad put me right quickly enough that I didn't pinch out every potential tomato.
Side shoots are the fast-growing lateral (sideways-growing) stems which grow from the joint of the main stem and a leaf. Tomato flower trusses grow on their own, midway between leaves.

If the side shoots are big enough, you can grow these on as cuttings and make more tomatoes.  :P Lots of peeps are doing that at the moment.  ;D
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,59762.0.html

chuff

• Half Acre
Re: tomatoe plant question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 16:47:51 »
thank you triffid, Ive never heard of taking cuttings from the side shoots before, I shall have ago, I take it that I leave them on the plant until there are a decent size. thanks 4 the tip on which are side shoots and which are flower trusses. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal