Author Topic: Where can I get metal poles?  (Read 4089 times)

mhj75

• Not So New ...
  • Bristol - it's mint
Where can I get metal poles?
« on: May 04, 2010, 18:31:53 »
Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to get metal poles? I want to use some as frames for my beans, and maybe for my blackberries. I've seen some people on my allotment site have them. I'm guessing they maybe got them from skips etc but I'm just wondering if anyone has any better ideas?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Where can I get metal poles?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 19:16:48 »
I use aluminum hollow 8ft poles, I am fortunate as my son is a blind manufacturer and kindly gave me some. Might be worth asking price if you have a blind manufacturer near you. Thay are very strong and no rust problems. Just an idea.

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 22:49:33 »
 Mostly they're old pipework. Or washing line posts. Most old overgrown gardens have got a few lying around in in my experience. They are very useful. I would have a sneaky look in the metal department at the tip. And just generally keep an eye out. Or saw down a roadsign.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:29 »
Cast iron water pipes are best - they surface rust but never rust away and rust is pretty much the best camouflage colour in a garden. You can see a galvanised pole under runner beans but not a rusty one!

I'm still kicking myself for throwing a couple out when we had the hot water system rebuilt.

I only ever seem to find old mild steel electrical conduit in skips - it rusts away eventually.

Dammit.

Aluminium really, really doesn't like salt - some of the alloys are 10x worse.

Painted iron is worse than useless after a couple of years.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:26 »
I used the frame from an old trampoline, and a couple of canes at the top to join them together.

You could ask on freegle/freecycle or place a wanted ad in your local paper for a broken trampoline.

Neil

mhj75

• Not So New ...
  • Bristol - it's mint
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 20:26:20 »
Wow Neil, that looks amazing. Definitely the kind of thing I'm looking at.

There's one guy on my allotment site who has a permanent structure for his runners, built from metal poles. Every year he digs out a trench underneath it, puts half rotted compost at the bottom and fills it with compost and manure. He has the best runners on site, I reckon.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 22:40:02 »
I have got metal posts from old washing whirly things, from old clothes airers, ironing boards and from clothes rails. If I see anyone chucking anything out, I am right there!

Every thing seems to have a use. :)

Rosymacposie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 23:46:44 »
I use scaffolding poles.  Got mine off freecycle but if you contact a scaffolding company, they may have some no longer safe for use as scaffolding going spare.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 23:49:33 »
If you look at the top right on pic 2, you can see where i have used the same poles in the ground and blue waterpipe to make a support for cabbage netting.
The reason I grew at an angle is so the beans grew over the path so it saved on space in the bed, bush beans and butternut squash were grown under the overhanging beans.
I'll be doing the same this year but have squashes also growing upwards.

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 06:51:50 »
What about metal conduit pipes , elbows etc XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 18:16:27 »
I've got a load of second hand aluminium trussing I'm going to use.... it's really solid cos it's normally used for building handrails etc...

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal