Author Topic: Ripe Chilli's?  (Read 2555 times)

Glen

• Quarter Acre
Ripe Chilli's?
« on: May 10, 2010, 22:26:22 »
Hi All.

Just a quick question on how do you tell when chilli's are ripe? I have numerous chilli plants which now have large chilli's on but how do I tell when they are ripe and when I can use them?

I have read that not all chilli's turn red when ripe and some stay green - so how do you know when these types are ready to use? Any tests you can do for ripeness?

Any help would be much appreciated.  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Ripe Chilli's?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 22:49:13 »
They are ripe enough if you like to eat them... ;)..every variety has it's own colour as such..so if you know what yours are called then you can find out about the final colour..this is most important if you are planning to save seeds or dry them. But as for using them..they do not have to be ripe..it is same as peppers..which ever stage of development you prefer..individual flavours and heat do not tend to come out until fully ripe though..

Glen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:40 »
Thanks for the info goodlife. Looks like I maybe enjoying some Chilli's then!  ;)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 22:17:02 »
I'm not sure if there are any chillies that are green when they are ripe.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 00:25:29 »
Well, I've seen yellow and orange (and red) as the final colour but never green.

Would be tricky to keep seed if you don't know when they are viable!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal