Author Topic: Wigwam/string question  (Read 2520 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Wigwam/string question
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:07:56 »
I'm putting string on some of my wigwams for peas/sweetpeas. Should I start at the top or the bottom when putting the string round? I know its a really silly question but I read somewhere about it making a difference to the tension. Its really bothering me and I know someone has the answer!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Wigwam/string question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:56 »
I would start from bottom as things tends to get tighter as you go along..and it holds the canes better together....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:16:01 »
...but try one oneway and another..well another way..everybody ties thing a bit differently..then you know what works best with your knots..trial and error.. ;)..and next year with your knowlege you are the master of the ultimate wigwam... ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:55 »
Thanks goodlife, its the remembering thats the problem..... ::)

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:52:29 »
there is simpler way . build simple frame then run string back and forth from top to bottom.
also i think your building a tepee not wigwam. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:14:24 »
i think your building a tepee not wigwam

You are correct on this one, but for us on this side of the salty pond the wigwam is used to describe a structure of sticks for growing things up but a teepee is a triangular profile canvas tent.  Just shows how languages evolve. 

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:33:28 »
According to several dictionaries a wigwam and tepee are the same thing!

I think that it's just as easy to build as a simple frame and often looks better.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:48 »
Yep...in gardening terms I would think both as same too... ;) err...I don't think I would know much difference in real terms though.. ::) :-[

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:59:57 »
back to the string question - I built one yesterday and OH said to wrap the string round a pole - 1st under then wrap again but over the initial one and then move onto the next pole. Something to do with tension.
Sorry if I haven't explained this very well, but it did seem nice and sturdy  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 10:26:03 »
well if it feels sturdy...you have done it...I'll know what you mean know..meaning the string secure itself ..well it just have to run over itself and it stops it running/moving...it doen't matter which way you go as long as it crosses over the previous bit...your peas and sweet peas don't mind as they use canes too for them to attach themselves.. ;)

plainleaf2

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 20:22:16 »
Digeroo I knew, I was right since my neighbor down road has 20 foot tee pee in his back yard, last time i look.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 20:28:01 »
I have started at the top and the bottom and I find you get more tension when you start at the bottom! I wish someone would give me an alternative to doing this because I find it takes a long time :-[
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 11:48:34 »
I'm a bit fussy when it comes to stringing wigwams...it takes me about 15 minutes to do an 8' one, and I knot around every cane otherwise the string goes baggy and I know it will bug me for the rest of the season if I leave it like that! Sad eh. However, it does the job, particularly with peas that benefit from the extra support.

Last years wigwams ready for action.....tried purple string last year, it faded to pale grey within a week! ::)

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

plot51A

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:52:22 »
Thanks everyone - especially Deb P, pictures are an inspiration I just wish my beds looked so tidy. Will be stringing tomorrow.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 18:33:14 »
i have made wigwam three long poles and three shorter poles horizontal near the bottom all held together with string ,then have three lengths string each side coming down from top! very sturdy but its windy today and fell over >:( but didnt brake!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 15:35:29 »
I took the easy way and wound chicken wire around my canes. I made it fit by using tin snips and a sturdy pair of gloves.
Smile, it confuses people.

superspud

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 20:23:11 »
I took the easy way and wound chicken wire around my canes. I made it fit by using tin snips and a sturdy pair of gloves.

Uh huh, how weird is that, I took the easy way out and wound pean and bean netting round mine earlier !.
Much faster less stress and if it dont work - tough!.
Ignore me I'm having a breakdown.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 21:45:54 »
It does Superspud, I did it last year too. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal