Author Topic: Peas and Parafin  (Read 991 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Peas and Parafin
« on: May 04, 2010, 15:26:25 »
Not sure if I've got this right but my now deceased plottie neighbour once told me to soak my peas in parafin before sowing to deter mice.
Does anyone else do this or was it some other spirit? Not succesfully grown peas before and I thought I'd give them another go. This method sounds drastic to me, but maybe it works. :-\
Smile, it confuses people.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Peas and Parafin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 16:13:27 »
It's supposed to work, peas don't seem harmed by the paraffin but mice can't stand the smell which lasts long enough that there isn't anythign left for the mouse to dig after...... still prefer starting them off indoors though....

chrisc

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 16:44:16 »
This method sounds drastic to me, but maybe it works.

Yes it works and is not so drastic as you might think, after all the pea seed disappears once it has germinated.

I would guess any strong smelling product would be equally as successful, as it is the smell rather than the taste of the pea that is the deterrant!

Such a method is only required early in the season when there is very little else for mice to eat.

Later sowings are rarely affected!

This is my method of overcoming the problem; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Peas/Peas/peas.html

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Peas/Peas.htm

I hope this helps!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 19:58:53 »
My father used to use a mixture of paraffin and red lead, but I doubt whether any mice got close enough to be poisoned!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 21:52:31 »
Thanks all. Will have another go without paraffin. Very helpful links TeeGee, many thanks.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal