Author Topic: A few questions...  (Read 1877 times)

Tatty

• Not So New ...
A few questions...
« on: May 03, 2010, 19:25:57 »
Hi, could anybody answer these question for me please?

How well would onions and shallots cope with a dry spell - I am ashamed to say I left some to get on with it and they got very dry - have watered them now !

I have some really long thick stems on my rhubarb - do they have to turn red to be ready? these are still green but very big - rhubarb also flowering - does this mean anything?

Would peas/beans cope next to potatoes? I have a bed that is approx 6ft by 12ft - was going to put some pots in there but have realised it would be great to have some frames and grow beans/peas there - any way I could fit in the two? Only for this year as would not buy too many pots next year like I have this time! Don't want to waste the pots so if this wouldn't work they will get the space!

Thank you
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 19:27:50 by Tatty »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: A few quick questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 19:35:09 »
How well would onions and shallots cope with a dry spell - I am ashamed to say I left some to get on with it and they got very dry - have watered them now !
Shouldn't be a problem.

I have some really long thick stems on my rhubarb - do they have to turn red to be ready? these are still green but very big - rhubarb also flowering - does this mean anything?
No they don't have to turn red. Flower stem should be removed ASAP as they reduce the vigour of the plant.

Would peas/beans cope next to potatoes? I have a bed that is approx 6ft by 12ft - was going to put some pots in there but have realised it would be great to have some frames and grow beans/peas there - any way I could fit in the two? Only for this year as would not buy too many pots next year like I have this time! Don't want to waste the pots so if this wouldn't work they will get the space!
Peas or beans would grow fine alongside potatoes it's onions & garlic they don't get on with. It could mess with your crop rotation but if it is just a one off then thats not a major issue.

Tatty

• Not So New ...
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 19:48:00 »
That is great - thank you for replying so quickly!

Will take off the flowers tomorrow :)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:05:37 »
My rhubarb never goes very red, some varieties stay fairly green. Go by the size of the stalk.

Mine flowered a LOT this year, I cut off loads of flowers and strangely enough the stems are now growing from the flower stalk too  ???  Rhubarb is a surprising plant!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:45 »
i never water onions or shallots unless there is a really prolonged period of hot dry weather. 

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:24 »
I did not know about peas and beans not getting on with o
Shouldn't be a problem.

No they don't have to turn red. Flower stem should be removed ASAP as they reduce the vigour of the plant.

Peas or beans would grow fine alongside potatoes it's onions & garlic they don't get on with. It could mess with your crop rotation but if it is just a one off then thats not a major issue.
[/quote

I did not know peas and beans do not get on with onions and garlic.  Any reason for this?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 13:23:02 »
Alliums inhibit the growth of legumes & a few herbs it is more of a problem when the alliums are already established & something is planted next to them, if planted around the same time the legumes often become established before the alliums begin changing the soil chemistry around them.
Try planting a few peas around established onions or garlic & you will soon notice that the alliums are fine but the peas growth is stunted. It's a bit like companion planting in reverse.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 15:02:42 »
Thanks.    Interesting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal