Author Topic: Tomato Crazy  (Read 13856 times)

greensausage

• Quarter Acre
Re: Tomato Crazy
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2010, 23:05:46 »
Don't we all ::)..are you going to re-sow them?..I alway do...cannot stand defeat ::) At the moment I have one variety that is giving me headache..I've sown three small lots now and still nothing seem to be happening..and new packet too...well if I could get just one to come through >:(..surely there is just one..one hopes ::)

Yes, will resow tomorrow when I sow some other varieties, I dont like been beaten either. 

Which variety are you having a problem with Goodlife?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2010, 23:06:21 »
Oh..kids get everywhere ::)..oh well..they WILL learn one day..yep the wild one should be smaller..

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2010, 23:13:38 »
It's greenwich.. >:(..some actually did germinate..I did one lot on wet paper in small dish and as I tranplanted them..someone took labels off into pots and few days later ..I had clumsy accident  ::)..by then I didn't know anymore which dish was which seed.. ::) after that I've been trying to re-sow..
But tomorrow I'm going to have a little poke in my jiffy's to see if anything is happening..if not ..one more try and in wet paper it is again..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 00:19:49 »
My toms this year.. well none, at least not yet.

Because I was not  certain I would get a Canadian lottie this year I wasn't sure if I would be able to grow anything other than a couple of Tumblers in hanging baskets but... I did promise to start a selection of different toms for  my best friend and her married children who have always grown basic garden centre stuff so I planted just two seeds of the varieties below. The idea was different shapes, colours and harvesting dates. Of course it also gave me the satisfaction of being able to plant for someone!!!

Orange Banana
Whippersnapper
Japanese Black Trifele
Purple Calabash
Mary Robinson German bi color
Piccolo
Black Cherry
Fireworks
Tommy Toe
Big Beef
Ananas Noir
Sugary
San Marzano
Manitoba
Jersey Devil
Bush Early Girl
Ferline
OTV Brandywine
Matina
Jolly
Lillian's Yellow
Rose Beauty

Of course both seeds germinated and as I now DO have my Canadian lottie I will be able to keep the second plant for myself..

meanwhile.. I shall still be planting this week what I really want for myself..list to follow.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 01:15:55 »
And my other half thinks I have a tomato addiction.  He has no idea.  ;D It barely even registers on the tom-crazyometer. 

This year' I've got 11 varieties growing away with that wonderful tomatoey zest for life:
Gardener’s Delight   
Golden Plum      
Golden Sunrise   
Ildi          
Italia         
Maskotka      
Moneymaker      
Pineapple       
Roma
Super Marmande
and Tigerella

Now suffering tomato envy reading all your lovely lists, particularly for the lack of any black toms in my lot.
For next year, which black/ black-ish toms are your faves?

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2010, 01:16:49 »

Grubs Mystery Green

This is a great tomato, I've grown it for about 4 seasons and we love it on sandwiches. One that makes our list each year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 02:03:17 »
Paul Robeson XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 07:45:23 »
Jeannine..did you manage to take much seed stock with you when moving overe there or is it all bought from over there?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:50 »
For next year, which black/ black-ish toms are your faves?

I second Paul Robeson, although the harvest for me is not big, still well worth it though. I also enjoy Black Master, Black from Tula and Black Krim.

Grubs Mystery Green is one I'm very much looking forward to trying too this year  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 10:36:19 »
My list this year is a little shorter than some, I have my addiction under control now.

Gardeners Delight
Saint-Pierre (seeds bought in France)
Moneymaker
San Marzano
Costoluto Fioretino

All doing OK at the mo!
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2010, 10:39:19 »
I'm trying to work out where I'm going to fit all of mine!
ahhh I love dark coloured tomatoes! My favourite so far is 'Purple Cherokee', which looked STUNNING, with a rosy-pink base, darkening in deepening purple brush strokes to the top. And the flavour was incredible. They were fat juicy beefsteaks which were so sweet but also a bit winey/smokey. Just generally amazing.

I can't believe that when I was a kid I thought tomatoes were disgusting. I'm totally hooked now and can't wait for those little plants on my windowsill to grow up and produce a big crop this year! Will post about the results of what I'm growing in a few months time.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

amphibian

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2010, 10:49:01 »
I love Japanese Black Trifele, yields well for me and holds out against foliar diseases better than most.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2010, 14:39:18 »
My 22 varieties?

I can`t remember sat here but you can be assured Money Maker is not one of them.

Some I like but am not growing this year include; Sungold,Aunt Madge
 Caspian Pink,Black from Tula,Black Seaman,Cherokee Purple,Yellow Brandywine--the list would be longer than those I am growing this year ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2010, 19:45:23 »
Good life, I took everything I had, I wasn't sure wether I was allowed and daren't ask so we popped packets  inside teapots, shoes, evrywhere, it was a heck of a job when we unpacked , mind you a lot of it had been bought there. When I flew I had some rare seeds that were sent to me after the furniture left..they travelled very well in my bra!!

Of course I have been back a year so have added some now.

I do find most everything can be got these days, I think if you are serious about seeds you have to think and shop globally, or develop swappers in other countries.

XX Jeannine

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2010, 19:50:41 »
There are loads of swaps available in the US and Canada if you look around. Often varieties you can't find over here.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2010, 19:54:18 »
Our outside night temps have been running 3.3 to 7 degrees C. (38-45 F.) and
our tomatoes have been planted outside a couple weeks now. Most of them
are looking like they're holding their own- of course covered with plastic milk jugs
at night. "Cherokee Purple" are especially bushy and growing strongly, but strangely
"Subarctic" are just sitting there  despite their brave and boastful name.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2010, 20:50:29 »
..they travelled very well in my bra!
XX Jeannine
;D ;D ;D..did you have to buy larger cup size bra...for the special mission..l ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2010, 21:25:25 »
Well, there's only two of us (and a nearly four month bump, but that's not eating much in the way of toms yet!). I was planning six plants, which gave us a decent crop for eating/canning last year, but am now running at 10 I think as I haven't quite given enough away. Bit worried about how I'm going to fit everything in as we don't have a huge area. Are just in the process of moving and the new house has no garden that isn't patio or woodchip so this year will have loads of space for grow bags. Next year may have greenhouse so might be able to be a bit more adventurous with the selection.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2010, 21:53:51 »
Oh lets hope we get even half decent summer ...you need all the help to get some crop from outdoor ones....last three years I haven't got any...rain,rain,rain...blight..... >:(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2010, 22:49:11 »
 OK,, did I miss some thing here!!!! JayB you started this thread but where is your list?? Come on...

Well I planted my " for me" list today, some are swaps, thank you to those who recognise their own.

Juliet,
Tim's Black Ruffles
Humph
Delicious
Mashenka
Harvard Square
Maiden's Kiss
Sadko Pink
Orlinoe Serdtse
Black Zebra Cherry
Beauty King
Pork Chop
Green Zebra Cherry
Chernamor
Boars Hoof
Black and Crown Boar
Brad's Black Heart
Pink Boar
Berkley Tie Dye (red)
Madame Jardels Black
Sasha'a Pride
Couple of experimental ones.

And left a small pot ready for Queen of Hearts which is in the mail.

If they arrive in time I ordered a few from over the line but I will be pushing it.

So all tucked up under my new grow light garden..it is so smashing to have!

Your list please Jayb

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal