Author Topic: Asparagus  (Read 5589 times)

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
Asparagus
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:10:33 »
I am thinking of trying some asparagus next year (no room this year).  So the bed that I am growing strawberries in this year will be turned in to the asparagus bed after the stawbs come out this year

I have never grown it before so have done a little reading but any help & tips from you guys would be great.

Also because I'm not planting until next year I thought I might grow them from seed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the best type to grow for taste and yield
Live life to the full, this is not a rehearsal

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
Re: Asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:16:32 »
I sowed Mary Washington asparagus seeds last year. They have just started to shoot up and look like miniature asparagus suitable for a dolls house ;D

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 11:28:24 »
Thanks Lillian

When did you plant them and what did you do with them over the winter, greenhouse or house ?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 15:13:38 »
Growing from seed means it'll be years before you get anything. (We did it years ago, in the garden.)

Personally, I'd recommend buying in crowns and planting them in March or April. And get one of the newer Dutch varieties, which are more reliable and consistent than the older types. I've got Backlim and Gijnlim, but I think there are others. Do a google and see what you prefer.

You'll still have a long wait, of course: nothing the first year; just a few spears the second; stop picking at the end of May the third year. But then you've got a good supply for the next 25 or 30 years!

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 15:37:41 »
Well snap to the first post - we have taken out the strawberries and made it into an asparagus bed just this last week!!

And snap to the last post - I have ordered the same two varieties of crowns from New Park farm in Kent.  We'll be planting them when they arrive.. so no asparagus for us this year, but looking forward to next and years and years to come  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alison

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 16:02:31 »
Remember - only a taster next year.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 16:03:08 »
Great minds !!
Well snap to the first post - we have taken out the strawberries and made it into an asparagus bed just this last week!!

And snap to the last post - I have ordered the same two varieties of crowns from New Park farm in Kent.  We'll be planting them when they arrive.. so no asparagus for us this year, but looking forward to next and years and years to come  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Alison

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 16:09:51 »
I love asparagus - we should have done it years ago!!

Oh well better late than never  :)

Alison

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 16:40:19 »
Thanks Lillian

When did you plant them and what did you do with them over the winter, greenhouse or house ?

Sowed them in spring and planted them out in summer, ignored them all winter. Seem to be doing fine, but it will be afew years before I can harvest.

pookienoodle

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 17:34:58 »
A chap on our site planted some Asparagus he bought from Wilkinsons about a month ago and he has spears coming up....thats not normal is it?

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 19:25:28 »
I think it is - he just wont be able to harvest any this year.

Someone will let us know if this info is right  :)

Alison

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 21:16:35 »
wouldnt think he planted em deep enuff.Am sure wen i did mine i dug a 10" deeep trench,put crowns in bottom and as they grew kept backfilling.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 21:25:52 »
At least he's got something coming up.  When I planted mine I dug my lovely trenches, complete with the hump in the middle, planted and backfilled. .... 4 yrs of nothing but wasted space.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 21:29:43 »
I planted 10 crowns for my daughter 10 days ago, and when I visited her this week there were tiny shoots showing. That's London, a degree or so warmer than elsewhere.

My 7 yr old asparagus is not showing yet.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 21:38:59 »
prob a daft question lou but,were the plants growing as you backfilled ?

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 22:19:17 »
I'm 35 miles West of London and my asparagus has spears between just emerging and 6" tall. As they're only 2 years old now and have only been in the ground a year I won't be cutting till next year.

greenhousegirl

• Quarter Acre
  • West Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 13:09:40 »
Well that's my decision made then. Backlim & Gynlim crowns it is.

Is there any benefit to planting them in July when all the strawbs are out or should I wait until the spring? 

adeymoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 17:51:31 »
I have planted Gynlim in July. As long as they are watered well and mulched they should be ok. Mine are two years old and looking likely we may get some lovely specimens.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 23:33:50 »
There's no harm and little cost in trying to grow some asparagus from seed too. I did this successfully, and it took 3 years from seed to get decent thick spears. Think I sowed Martha Washington. Started off in deep seed trays.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 00:07:14 »
I grew Martha Washington from seed too but direct in the ground. This is year 3   ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal