Author Topic: Bee keepers?  (Read 1781 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Bee keepers?
« on: April 10, 2010, 17:26:35 »
Do bee keepers bees produce propolis & is it possible to buy it from them please? Sorry if it's a ridiculous question ;).

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Bee keepers?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 18:10:29 »
yes..yes...no..not ridiculous at all...
If you know a beekeeper go and ask them to save you some...if it is used internally/eaten..let them know that they can produce it a little cleaner method.. ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 20:42:26 »
Bees collect/produce propolis,. Beekeepers can collect it.
Find a local beekeeping association, contact them to find a local (to you) beekeeper.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 15:12:54 »
The amount varies a lot from strain to strain, but they varnish the inside of the hive with it, use it to strengthen wax, sometimes block an overlarge entrance with it, or propolis over a dead animal in the hive. You get lumps of it which build up, and I just scrape it off and use it medicinally.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 23:41:30 »
I had a strain of black bees that produced huge amounts of propolis. Inspecting the hive on a nice warm day was one of the most unpleasant beekeeping experiences I have had. There was so much propolis it was like someone had poured treacles over the frames. It was so bad that the bees were getting stuck in it and i kept sticking to the hive. Added to which they were vicious bees, as though they all had PMT. I did not mind them bouncing up and down on me and banging on the veil. It was the running up my cuffs and joining me in the veil that I did not like and following me for 200 yards and round corners. Don't have them now - it was me or them I think, but they could have produced pounds of the stuff.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:09:21 »
I've heard of strains producing that much propolis, but I've never seen it. I get small patches of old comb where the cells have been filled with propolis for some reason, but that's as far as it goes.

If I get a hive as nasty as that I requeen it before someone (other than me that is) gets stung.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 18:11:10 »
put a hive near a row of populars, they can then produce loads of propolis.
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal