Author Topic: TOMATO MOTH  (Read 938 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
TOMATO MOTH
« on: August 29, 2011, 15:55:49 »
One of my tomato plants in the greenhouse was covered in green caterpillars. I had a few last year but caught them early. This year it was much worse. Is there a way to prevent this next year? I have looked on the web and I am certain that it is the tomato moth caterpillar :'(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: TOMATO MOTH
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 16:51:28 »
"Is there a way to prevent this next year?"
Yes..sort of..
Plan to grow most perfect, big and lush chinese cabbages..get them into good start and plant into border near tomatoes..and see how they romp away only to be eaten by the b***y caterpillars.. ::) Good thing is..that when you clear the half eaten cabbages away you take many of them with you and less left to tomatoes.. ::)
My tomatoes only had odd few this year..after giving the plants good shake, rest of the pests dropped on to ground and I could pick them off.
When I used use sticky traps in GH some of the flying moths got court into those but so did the too many 'good guys'...so I stopped using them. But catching flying moths is too late anyway...they've already done the 'deeds' for the next generation.
Clearing away dead plant material as much as possible will ensure not so many survive winter hibernation..and suppose any pots will provide hiding places too.
During growing season only solution is your fingers..that's if you don't want to use chemicals.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 17:40:26 by goodlife »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 17:36:14 »
Would soft soap help? ...horticultural soap?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 17:51:47 »
 :-\ I'm not sure if it would...majority of the time these caterpillars are underneath the leaves..you have quite a job to get the the soap all over..and you would get the soap on you tomatoes too...there would not be eating toms straight from the plant unless washed first.
I'm not even sure if tomato plants would 'like' the soap spray they are quite sensitive sort of plants and soon react for sprays and anything bit 'stronger' than water that may land on them.
Best bet is to keep eye on any changes and as soon as you see first signs of chewing...usually on the bottom leaves..start turning the leaves over and run your finger over the 'bleeders'. At this stage they are still tiny and easily killed with any major 'gore' running down your fingers.. ;D ::)
There is not preventative measures neither..you can only take actions when you see some evidence on your plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal