Author Topic: What do you think of blight resistant tomatoes  (Read 1344 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
What do you think of blight resistant tomatoes
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:00:32 »
For me Losetto doing well.  Finally had three small tomatoes.  Flavour ok.  Actually prefer taste of Koralik though fruit slightly smaller.  Both producing lots and lots of green tomatoes but only a very few ripening to date.   In fact both types are very unruly plants - going on a take over bid.  You are not supposed to need to stake them, but I had to prevent them swamping some caulis.  A lot of the fruit are very close to the ground.  Which is bad news since the vole seem to like them.   I ones I staked are ripening soonest so I wished I had done more.

But I have no blight.  Some of my Sungold and Gardener Delight have a yellowing and curling of some leaves but the plants are still alive after several weeks so certainly not the dreaded blight.   

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: What do you think of blight resistant tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:12:36 »
Oh good that you started new thread..I think I already wrote about losetto tomatoes onto a another post.
But here we ago again...
My losettos were planted into pots..not so big ones neither..about 3 litre size. They've been cropping and cropping..loads of small fruits, with not too thick skins and good flavour. I'm happy about these.
But as we haven't had blight attack yet..that 'resistance' is gone unchallended yet.
I've had to put few small canes on my plants to support some branches as they were hanging so heavily down with such amount of fruit on them...Hmmm...should have grown these in large hanging baskets really.
Outside I have batch of other  blight resistant toms..Old Brooks, Ferline, Golden Currant, Mexico Midget, Mount Baker, Mountain Magic, Quadro, Plum Regal and Koralik.
None have any signs of blight..all are growing well (bit too well  ::))..but any flowers that have set fruit are still far away from being ripe...time will tell what happens..
Note to myself....I should have planted my toms into less fertile ground.. ::)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 17:23:19 »
Blight is all over our community gardens but the reports I have had back about the plants I distributed are very good for Defiant,Plum Regal and Mountain Magic, they are still standing everywhere, also standing is Legend.

My tomatoes are OK as they are not  in the main gardens and are under glass.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 17:55:59 »
Sorry to confuse you Goodlife but there are bits and piece about the resisitant tomatoes on several thread.  Much easier to search back in the fututre.

I had my first Losetto on 18th August and my first Koraliik on 26th.  But only had a few of each.  There are simply hundred of tiny fruits on each of the plants.  I think they would be better in a pot or raised bed to keep them off the ground. 

I will be interested in the taste and growing reports for other varieties. 

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 22:18:49 »
I tried Ferline for first time this year outdoors - it got blight before the potatoes and have only just had my blight warning nearly a week later!

I would love to hear if other blight resistant toms survive when there is blight around in the UK

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 14:37:08 »
But the $64K Q is:  will you grow Losetto again next year?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 14:45:06 »
Losetto is nothing exceptional..as good as any other cherry tomato..certainly worth it.
And the amount mine has cropped so for only that reason..yes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal