Author Topic: yay, some sunshine, time to start gardening!  (Read 1728 times)

mswales

yay, some sunshine, time to start gardening!
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:36:58 »
Not a very interesting post from me, I just wanted to say hello!

I used the forum a few years ago when I lived at home and helped with my parents veggie plots - someone even sent me some cucumber seeds! I now have a garden of my own and I am looking forward to growing some vegatables so I may be coming back for more advice!

I have had some red onions in over winter and I have lots of seed ready to go... now i just have to dig my plot by myself  :-\ I suspect I am a little late in doing everything but hopefully everything will catch up!

On the plan is spring onion, potatoes, fennel, carrots, courgettes, french beans, peas (I bought some telefono ones, excited about those), tomatoes and parsnips (though apparently I am late with them, hopefully not too late!).

I hope everyone has a good growing year this year! :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: yay, some sunshine, time to start gardening!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:56:56 »
Hi,
and welcome to A4A MSWales.
If we do not try then we cannot get very far.
I have not got my spuds or cabbage in as yet, but this is down to my job and not the beds being ready for all the goodies that we all try to grow.
Just give the seasons chance to balance themselves out and the gifts will reward you with goodies to stuff yourself with.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:58 »
Hiya, mswales..welcome to a4a  ;D
sounds like you have it all planned out

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:48 »
Happy Gardening, i'm hoping i can get some done today too. Parnips are funny old seeds, lasy year I sowed mine in March and got a wonderful crop so give it go! I've got parnips to sow as well.  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:30:37 »
Tommies may be a bit behind, but they will soon catch up if you leave them on a Sunny windowseal, my snips are yet to go in as are my carrots and get your spuds in as soon as pos, welcome and good luck.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:25:31 »
Welcome  ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 21:17:37 »
Well behind due to the weather in Brum and holidays.
Got most of my allotment  dug last October (apart from areas where I was growing stuff for use)as we had a spell of good weather. Poured down all November. Frozen out most of December, January and February. Went on holiday for 2 weeks in March (during the only dry spell!). Then hit the recent return of winter. Hope to get started tomorrow. Need to spread tons of compost and rotovate it in (but too wet to rotavate at the moment!).
Then I will probably bung all the spuds in together (1st earlies, 2nd earlies and mains) then probably at towards the end of April, sow the parsnips and carrots (the grounds too cold for them to germinate at the moment they will just rot).  Have some broad beans and peas growing in roottrainers in the cold greenhouse.
Done that sort of thing before and its worked out OK.
Better late than never!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:45 »
Welcome back.. I too am running very late this year  but it is amazing how quick things go once they start.I hope you enjoy your own patch .

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:24:29 »
Welcome back.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:17:07 »
NO...NO..NO.....none of us is late for anything......! There is always something to grow anytime of the year...
And it is the seed companies fault that folks think that everything have to be in ground certain time of the year..If you are not going to grow show stuff and happy with something smaller but edible..no rush...
I'll try to sow a bit hear and there, just to avoid the glut. I rather have something available in drips and draps...and yes..I allways find something fresh to eat, I did ...even this winter ::)..
..so MSWALES..welcome back, enjoy your digging and do it all in your pace...
..never late..but looking forward to future... ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:49:38 »
Welcome back MSWales  - sounds like you are going to be busy  ;D  ;D

And to George The Pigman - you have just described my plot!!  ::)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 21:43:35 »
I agree with goodlife. The pressure comes from the Garden Centres,magazines and TV programmes. Near us garden centres had the spuds and onion sets for sale in early January !
I know a nurseryman who used to deliberately push selling tomato plants early so customers would come back and get more when they had been wiped out by a frost!
The magazines don't help as often the articles are written months or years before and don't take into account current or recent weather conditions.
According to the Ceefax on the TV the National Trust say bluebells are predicted to be flowering three weeks later than usual because of the cold weather!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 22:42:32 »
hear hear goodlife,i couldnt agree more!
and i wont be sowing parsnips or carrots just yet,the soil is so very cold still,i learnt this lesson the hard way last year!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

:(

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 23:26:34 »
"yay, some sunshine, time to start gardening!"

Ive been gardening all winter, doesnt everyone?

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 23:34:01 »
Hiya mswales, welcome (back) to A4A :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal