Author Topic: Pineberries  (Read 4725 times)

:(

• Acre
Pineberries
« on: March 31, 2010, 00:26:49 »
On Radio 4 news today heard about this new fruit being introduced to the UK. Anyone tried growing them?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1262312/Pineberries-cream-The-new-summer-fruit-looks-like-white-strawberry--tastes-like-pineapple.html

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Pineberries
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:04 »
Weird, have they put this on a day early?

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:45 »
Nope, I've checked the diary!

Actually, my copy of The Fruit Manual by Robert Hogg (1884) has several strawberry varieties with 'pine' in the name, presumably because the flavour reminded the breeders of pineapple. It's nice that Waitrose is keeping up interest in fruit varieties. I think I'll taste these pineberries at least once, but I don't suppose I'll make a habit of buying them, mainly because of their premium price.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:38:07 »
'Pine' and 'banana' turn up in the names of late 18th and 19th Centure varieties because these were exotic fruit which were only available to people with money to invest in greenhouse cultivation. Before it became possible to ship pineapples to Britain, the cost of producing one was around £80, the same as that of a new carriage. Hence the Pitmaston Pineapple and Winter Banana, which are apples.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:40:39 »
on special offer for two weeks, and then work out at £14.50 a pound  :o

might be worth buying a punnet and germinating the seeds......

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:04 »
Are these not just white al(pine) strawberries?

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:27:58 »
We've got a Pitmaston Pineapple tree, and the apples definitely have a twang of pineapple to them 8)

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 16:34:07 »
Yes, my Pitmaston Pineapple really does have a pineapple flavour.

Perhaps some of us will taste these new-fangled pineberries and report back on their taste?

Wilder

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 23:16:18 »
I was lucky enough in my last job to travel in Brazil and some of the Spanish speaking countries in SA. There are many, many types of fruit that don't even have a tanslation into English, depending on who you speak to from 40-400!
There are juice bars on corners with about 30 single varieties. I understand that these were developed out of Rainforest fruits so don't think they're Alpine.
St Leonard's on Sea

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 00:09:53 »
White alpine strawberries do have a pineapple flavour at one point/range of ripeness - I'd say about the same as Pitmaston Pineapple apples but less than the Ananas Reinette apple (which aren't actually as nice as Pitmastons in several other ways).

It's notable that a white strawberry from Turkey gave the highest level of antioxidants found in a trial in '08/'09.

The flavour was said to be different from the normal range of strawberries - not to everyone's liking and sounds very like the white alpines.

I wouldn't be surprised if the antioxidants in alpines generally are high - I don't think anyone has tested them systematically because the market is so tiny.

The pineberry may be a marketing push to gain access to people (like me) who like having ordinary strawberries but are also happy to gain access to a strawberry that tastes like an entirely different new fruit.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 00:23:25 »
Anana is a very old name for pineapple. Do you know when the variety was bred?

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 00:50:00 »
I think it is an April Fool joke. Found wild in South America?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 07:56:18 »
normal strawberries came from the Americas (south and North)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:26:32 »
apparently they are available in waitrose.

artichoke

• Hectare

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 10:54:55 »
cheaper to buy a pineapple, a melon baller and a blindfold

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 11:02:31 »
ah...but a visit to casualty may result if I am let loose with a melon baller whilst blindfolded.....
Jackie

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 11:31:51 »
they sampled them on the good morning show earlier in the week and I didn't get the feeling that the presenters where all that impresed.   they didn't look that good either.

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 23:00:45 »
I would like the supermarkets to spend some effort into getting an apple to taste and feel like .......apple, instead of the tasteless pap with the texture of damp cardboard or if its crisp so unripe that the acid sourness makes your teeth tingle.
They could spend some time in continental supermarkets finding out how they manage to get fruit tasting like fruit should taste.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 00:46:21 »
I would like the supermarkets to spend some effort into getting an apple to taste and feel like .......apple, instead of the tasteless pap with the texture of damp cardboard or if its crisp so unripe that the acid sourness makes your teeth tingle.
They could spend some time in continental supermarkets finding out how they manage to get fruit tasting like fruit should taste.

I agree about soggy apples but I've never tasted a shop-bought apple that was too sour, apart from the very earliest cookers. I frequently buy and bite Bramleys from mid-season on because all the eating apples on sale are sugary mush.

There are two camps of apple lovers - those that prefer the taste of apple pie (though they might not admit it) and those who regard a decent belt of fruit acid as the most important and delicious way that fresh fruit differs from preserved rubbish (and confectionery).

It definitely runs in families - either cultural or genetic I don't know, but the rationing of sugar and sweet tropical fruits during the war seems to have pushed the balance towards the pie-lovers.

Those of us who will take zing even without sugar seem to be in the minority compared to those who prefer sugar even without zing...

Don't assume continental shops have got it right - recent research has shown that peoples originating from our latitudes and points north are significantly more sensitive to sugar - presumably evolved this way in order to discriminate among native fruits.

Braeburns soon shipping fresh from the southern hemisphere are the closest you will get to the best of both worlds until your own trees crop; but provenance is everything - since unscrupulous merchants release N hemisphere equivalents from store exactly in time to compete at a lower price. Mainly the French of course.

No reputable retailer should sell such tasteless remnants so late. Last spring I was shocked to find this rubbish in Waitrose - and I gave the local fruit manager a piece of my mind for falling for this trick. Only the labels on the boxes gave the game away.

Even the little individual labels on the apples had been designed to look almost identical to the NZ version.

Be warned...

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal