Author Topic: cheap shed base  (Read 19746 times)

AndrewB

• Half Acre
cheap shed base
« on: March 25, 2010, 18:02:34 »
Any idea for a base for a shed  - cheap and easy as possible.  I have been offered an old one - any tips for moving and re-building?  Is it possible to move without dismantling - about 6 x 4.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: cheap shed base
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 18:13:21 »
I bought a second hand shed, quite small, bought 8 new concrete slabs to stand it on, and spent a long time with a spirit level scraping out a flat surface (sloping site), and raking out sand and gravel to set the slabs onto. Two years later (and I have sheltered in this shed during rain, so it has had some weight on it.....) it is still upright and sound.

The slabs were very heavy (I thought) to carry on to the site. I saw that there are plastic ones, but they were more expensive than the shed!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 21:14:46 »
Pallets? ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 22:05:48 »
I think there are two sheds on pallets next to my plot, it works quite well.  It won't last years being in contact with the ground, but it's not that much effort just to replace the pallets.  Mines sits on 8 small paving slabs, so if you can find some of those free in a skip say, then that's the job jobbed.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:08:35 »
I have mine on some paving slabs and works very well

have seen others on the site with some pallets under too, you can use anything u want, its only to raise it off the ground to allow air to circulate

as for moving without dismantling, you would need a big trailer or van to fit it in and some help lifting it but don't see why you wouldnt be able to
Rog n Pete

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:43:18 »
I did wonder about pallets, might keep my eye out for some.  I would prefer flags but not sure about getting them to the plot - don't fancy busting my cars suspension.  Thanks for the advice.

rog_pete

• Quarter Acre
  • the photo from 10 Dec when took over the plot
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:19 »
if you go for flags do a search on ebay etc however I went to a local reclamation yard and got 3'x2' concrete slabs for £2 each and they delivered for a small charge if needed, luckily I had a van hired at the time for other things so used that

but reclamation yards are great for cheap slabs and timber

if you want some pallets I went to my local council depot and asked, they were quite happy to give me several
Rog n Pete

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:12:06 »
If your gonna have to move them in your car I would suggest using breeze blocks instead - alot lighter and easier to move, and just as effective. You can get 'lightweight' ones too!
As for moving a shed 'whole' I shifted a 6x4 shed to my allotment in a trailer still built.... bit of a pain though, for one it will weigh a lot more then you think (4 of us to lift mine)

twave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:54 »
I haven't tried it but you could use old car tyres. Any garage should be happy to give them to you for nothing.

Car tyres are often used as foundations for straw bales houses. Just level the ground, place the tyres, compact soil into the tyres to give a solid base. Put gravel in the centre to prevent water seeping up and rotting the base of the shed.

If you don't want the shed raised then bed the tyres into the ground.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:59:26 »
I would go with paving slabs and lay them edge to edge to match the size of the shed don't use less and leave gaps between. I was planning to lay my paving slabs as described above and my husband said don't bother just do the corners and the middle of the long side and leave gaps...against my own better judgement i did as he suggested which made it easy for the rats to make a burrow under my shed, which is also where they like to go to die after someone puts out poison! :(

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 13:24:08 »
My shed is on 4 fencing posts that come pretreated. I gave them an extra couple of coats of preservative and I'm hoping they'll last a good 10 years.

The greenhouse, however is on a purpose build ring of blocks.

For a idea of cost for blocks : for a 6x8 area it takes 16 or so blocks at £1 each + a bag of cement (£5) + a few of bags of sand (£4) =  £25.00

4 x 8ft posts at £8 each = £32  + weed suppressant sheet and some sand.

8 x  3x2 slabs = £16 (if you can lift them, they really require a 2 man lift (H&S). Your car should be able to carry that weight unless you go over sleeping policeman at speed. Balance them over the axles - you in on corner, 2 on the pasanger side, 3 each side in the boot)

12x 2x2 slabs = £24 (much easier to lift and generally handle)

Pallets = £0, but wont last as long.

PS you need concrete blocks, not the lightweight ones, they are for internal work only and will crumble in the frost.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 13:46:59 »
Umm good quality pallets are treated with wood preservative, they will last years.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 14:05:04 »
I have just bought six slabs for my shed extension I was unable to locate any free ones, the idea of putting sheds on slabs and then raised up is to stop vermin living underneath, on pallets with the gap between the shed and the ground it will be heaven for rats to live under, :)

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 19:02:32 »
I put a brick foundation down(bricks left from previous tenant)sat 4 pallets on top and the shed on the pallets  :D
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 19:16:47 »
Check your local 'Freecycle' group as i got some free slabs from someone who was wanting to get rid of some
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 23:32:27 »
I always check on freecycle/freegle if i want something now. Usually find someone has slabs to give away

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 18:06:36 »
I think that tyres wouldn't form a stable enough base. My sheds at the alllotment are on concrete breezeblocks with pallets on top. so long as the pallets are not touching the soil, they should last a long time.
Moving a shed to replace the base is not very easy, I have done it and don't want to repeat it.
My shed at home is on concrete flags. It cost a lot so figured it best to give it a good base.

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 17:30:20 »
Going for flags, considering a new shed - not really in the allotment  spirit but less hassle.  Thanks for all the advice. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal