Author Topic: Root Trainers- Which veg would benefit the most  (Read 18937 times)

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
Root Trainers- Which veg would benefit the most
« on: March 20, 2010, 19:18:09 »

Hello, I Need some advice.
I have a root trainer pack that I bought reduced.  As it is only one pack I would like to know which vegetable seed would benefit the most from using it?   I intend to do the majority of seeding in my rolled newspaper tubes.

p.s -   are parsnips as hard to grow as I fear? 

Lord Rigby

Re: Root Trainers- Which veg would benefit the most
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 19:38:38 »
I always sow sweetcorn in them. Or climbing french beans. Things that are a bit tender to risk sowing direct but like a nice root run.
As for parsnips, I'd sow direct because they're easily damaged if you germinate them before planting, but wait until it's milder (mid-April), sow them quite thickly and thin well.
Best of luck.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 19:48:34 »
Parsnips are IMHO one of the easiest veg provided you use fresh seed, the only year I ever failed was when I used old seed. I sow very little direct for various reasons,  but parsnips are so simple.  Just a shallow drill, sow thinly, keep weed free for the early weeks, and then stand back.  Good luck!

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 19:59:23 »
The only thing I would bother to put into root trainers is parsnips.

Frankly I think that they are another over priced item we do not need.

How I still mourn the loss of Geoff Hamilton who knew how normal people did not need these gimmicky items which are produced to extract money from keen but not confident gardeners.

He did his very best to advise us all about short cuts and cost cutting ways but so many presenters, I am sure get freebies from companies who want us to believe we need their products.

Buy  a roll of damp course. Cut it to size (so that it is the same as a toilet roll tube) and a bit of sellotape will make it the right shape. Cut it open  when the roots show. plant them and then re-use it. Wash it out if you want to in some Jeyes fluid or use a touch of bleach in some washing up liquid and I guarantee your home made root trainers will last a life time.

A nice little job to do during our long cold winters.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 20:19:07 »
we use ours for sweetcorn, beans, sweet peas and, at the moment, leeks for the competition  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 20:36:32 »
Or just use loo rolls!

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 21:52:00 »

I was very lucky, I found the root trainer in a reduced bin for £3.  I couldn't resist giving it a try.  I don't think that I could bring myself to pay the normal going rate.  This being the case,  I wanted to use it for something that would really benefit.    This is my first season on my allotment & will not be doing sweetcorn.  I'm saving that challenge for when I have more area cleared.

I had originally thought that a root veg would be more suitable but I now gather that this is not the case.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 22:14:45 »
Sweetcorn would work well with a new plot as you can easily plant it through black plastic. The trick is, never let it get checked.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:25:50 »
Bit late now but something for next year... broadies... crack them in rootrainers to about 4" tall.... all beans really but sweetcorn and popcorn especially, wouldn't bother putting parsnips in them if you've only got one set....

BTW, nice idea with the dampcourse ..... will have to do that sometime :D

chrisc

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 08:11:43 »
I lashed out on root trainers for the first time last year and was disappointed. I used them for scorzonera and parsnips. I found when I opened them to plant the contents that the compost crumbled away, and the roots were as disturbed as if I had used plastic pots instead.

Maybe I should have let the plants grow on until their roots filled the space and held the compost together, but the trouble with parsnips (and scorzonera) is that the roots plunge downwards so fast that this doesn't happen until the leading root is checked and damaged.

I would much rather use loo rolls, or newspaper pots cut to size, ie extra long for parsnips - then plant the whole thing with no root disturbance at all.

Maybe plants that are not so sensitive to disturbance of their longest roots would benefit, eg all beans? Brassicas?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:42:45 »
Or just use loo rolls!
all my loo rolls go for sunflowers  ;D

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:09:35 »
I lashed out on root trainers for the first time last year and was disappointed. I used them for scorzonera and parsnips. I found when I opened them to plant the contents that the compost crumbled away, and the roots were as disturbed as if I had used plastic pots instead.

Maybe I should have let the plants grow on until their roots filled the space and held the compost together, but the trouble with parsnips (and scorzonera) is that the roots plunge downwards so fast that this doesn't happen until the leading root is checked and damaged.

I would much rather use loo rolls, or newspaper pots cut to size, ie extra long for parsnips - then plant the whole thing with no root disturbance at all.

Maybe plants that are not so sensitive to disturbance of their longest roots would benefit, eg all beans? Brassicas?

They really aren't meant for root veg; but for veg that need deep roots.

I have about 8 sets and they are in use all year round; this time of year it will be beans and peas, later on my rare french beans and sweetcorn; I use them to grow good root systems on shallots, garlics and onion sets before they get planted out, for overwintering peas and beans; and anything else that likes a good root system

Buckeye Girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:38 »
Many thanks to all.   I understand a bit more now.   

I'm thinking that I will experiment with the parsnips, maybe do a few in long rolled newspaper tubes and the rest normally. 

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:44 »
My two cents worth: the parsnips I planted directly were eaten by slugs. The ones in loo rolls weren't.

Now if I'm down to a few special seeds (of anything) I'd sorely hate to lose to slugs, I plant 'em in loo rolls.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:23 »
I bought a load of second hand roottrainers from eBay, they are good quality thick plastic and very sturdy. I use them for: sweet peas, sweetcorn, all peas and beans (especially the heritage ones where I usually only have a few seeds and can't afford to lose any).

I find the main disadvantage of them is the amount of compost it takes to fill them up! (mine are all the longer type). But I have had excellent results with them, the root growth is air pruned and i wait until they are showing out of the bottom before planting out, it give peas and beans a good start. I also tried sunflowers in some last year, but they did not do so well, I'm not sure why. ???
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 16:26:09 »
Deb's not wrong about the deep ones eating compost :D.... bit of a shock the first time you see it but if I didn't do broadies in them I'm guessin git would be in 5 or 6" pots with half a dozen seeds per pot.... effect would be the same...

chrisc

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 16:42:10 »
Loo rolls, Paper pots....who needs root trainers?....

Cardboard tubes from wrapping paper...tubes from kitchen roll....
they are there....decompose naturally..no root disturbance...dig or dibble a hole..
bung it in, pot an' all....And as free (£'s wise ) as you can get, after the initial purchace  of said product.
Why buy something made from plastic waste, then you gotta wash them.. that in time will go brittle and break up...? Huh!!...
Happy planting ...enjoy ... ;) ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 20:17:38 »
It's far quicker to wash roottrainers than it is to make up the equivalent paper rolls. My oldest are now 5 years old and only just starting to get to the point where some of the cells could do with replacing.
Mine will be in use from now (early peas) through to late July (second crop french beans). Like a lot of the other posters mine are used for beans(runner and french) and peas - I got lazy with sweetcorn and use a deep margerine tub before pricking out into vending machine cups recycled from work.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 20:29:24 »
Well  would not be without mine !!!
Our Broadbeans are heads above all others on site and i use them for all beans and sweetpeas and there is no problems with dampingoff or moulds on loo rolls ect and mine have lasted 4 years now and we get replacment inners at 28p each when needed.

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 20:26:47 »
I love my root trainers. Ideal for anything that needs long strong roots such as beans & sweetcorn. Consider starting your carrots & parsnips in old guttering. I have dreadful germination problems but success with guttering. They can go a bit fangy if you don't slide them into a bed as soon as germinated.
Chantenay.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal