Author Topic: Grow Your Own - Is it worth it?  (Read 8218 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Grow Your Own - Is it worth it?
« on: March 19, 2010, 20:23:45 »
Here are some sobering statistics, this month being the 4th anniversary of taking on my plot (3/4 of full plot size).

Cost £4207 ie £1052 pa - but the average is going down.

Hours worked March 2009 to Feb 2010 = 430

Weight of crop March 2009 to Feb 2010 = 750lb

Therefore each pound of crop cost £1.40 and 35 minutes of labour.

I loved every minute and got tastier food, exercise, fresh air and many new friends!

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
Re: Grow Your Own - Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 20:36:34 »
i am minimalist and the low maintenance appraoch is a neccisty given lifestyle and work commitments.  I reckon I average 3-4 hrs a week. 

I use my plot as a crative outlet and somewhere to go.  I dont push the kids but they are now looking forward to going to the plot.  My wife has been ill with cancer for some time so we like the connection with nature for headspace, persective or even just focusing on something different.  Also we use low maintenacne crops like perpetual spinach and even radish and turnip tops for low cost healthy juicing alongside the fab crops.

The kids love picking raspberries and strawberries and i like them learning about how things grow and the general social side of things.

In the circumstances, priceless.  Not sure how much i spend but its not totally cheap but i'd spend it elsewhere anyway.  I like it and the kids love it.

Simon

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 20:43:38 »
My goodness!! I do not bother keeping records like that. Life is too short! I would be very surprised if I have even spent £1000 over 14 years on my allotments.
But in any event, it is the useful exercise, fresh air, friendship that makes it all worth while, as well as all the fresh fruit and vegetables of course.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 20:57:27 »
There's a lot more to it than the accounts!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 21:14:20 »
ive had my allotment for 3 years this year and havent spent a huge amount tbh

there was a shed already on site minus a roof,ply timbers and felt was free paint £20

placed an ad in the local pages for a cheap,free greenhouse,have a 6 x 8 greenhouse free minus a few sheets of glass,£30??

slabs for greenhouse £20 slabs for area around shed and start to path free

horse manure free netting when i need it free

all i pay for is seeds and compost,although i do need around 100 slabs for a path,£60/70 maybe

i grab what i can through people i know before i get my wallet out
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 21:18:48 by gaz2000 »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 21:19:39 »
I do not think I spend £1000 even with my seedoholic tendencies!   But is it worth it?  Most definitely yes.

I just love the taste of super fresh vegetables.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 21:21:02 »
Just answering the question - yes  ;D

Ninny

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 21:26:06 »
Don't know where you get your cost from but on the whole allotment gardening can be a very cheap hobby. Anyone can work a plot - you don't need a lot of money

Allotments are also a great place to be inventive and recycle stuff - e.g. build a free or cheap chicken coop from recycled materials.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 21:30:52 »
Money couldn't buy what I get from my allotment.

Sinbad

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 21:32:16 »
Don't know where you get your cost from but on the whole allotment gardening can be a very cheap hobby. Anyone can work a plot - you don't need a lot of money

Allotments are also a great place to be inventive and recycle stuff - e.g. build a free or cheap chicken coop from recycled materials.

thats where im at as i try to recycle as much as possible

things i have through work will get incinerated or dumped at the tip so why not,old timbers,old pond netting ect

other than that i place ads,amazing what people want shifting,as i said,i got a alu 6 x 8 greenhouse free,and slabs

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 21:51:11 »
thats where im at as i try to recycle as much as possible

Agreed!

The view of allotment sites being messy and disorganised due to accumulation of materials is wrong. Chaos on plots should be seen in a different light – it is about recycling and being creative.

Also, evidence suggests that physical access to nature helps people recover from illness quicker, reduces stress and lowers blood pressure.

Can't put a cost on this!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 21:55:24 »
If you save seed you can get a lot of what you need via swaps. Postage is cheaper than seed packets, and you can get more interesting varieties!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 21:55:39 »
Weight of crop March 2009 to Feb 2010 = 750lb

Five of my pumpkins weighed a total of 630lb!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 22:00:09 »
I did not include the weight of the pumpkins, courgettes and runner beans etc. that I either gave away or composted.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 22:09:39 »
Last year I spent around £140 on seeds, compost and sundries.  Couldn't even hazard a guess as to the hours put in over the year.  Well enjoyed though.  I am working away this year from April-October so it wont cost me a penny - less my rent;  I will miss my allotmenteering dearly.  (Allotment DTs withdrawl symptoms coming on me thinks ;D ;D)

Money couldn't buy what I get from my allotment.

Sinbad
Same here.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 22:30:52 »
You ask allaboutliverpool, is what we spend on seeds, etc worthwhile.

YES, YES, YES.

At the moment we are going through the childish 'glee' of seeds that are germinating.

Broad beans, runner beans, climbing french beans, tomatoes, carrots, peas, etc.

We also have strawberry plants, raspberry canes black, red and white currants.

We are both pensioners, and to be honest cost doesn't come into it.

The delight of going out into the garden and picking 'fresh' fruit or veg, and eating them within a short space of time, on flavour alone, is worth it.

There is nothing quite like picking a sweetcorn cob, boiling it, and eating it within minutes from picking.

It's all about the taste, knowing you have not sprayed your plants with any noxious substances.

valmarg

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 22:59:58 »
Here are some sobering statistics, this month being the 4th anniversary of taking on my plot (3/4 of full plot size).

Cost £4207 ie £1052 pa - but the average is going down.

care to explain the costs? our plots cost £29 inc water and nsalg subs, manure for the year = £20, a few seeds and tubers = £20 ish, total is less than £70. how do you spend so much? it would be cheaper to go to M&S for the food.
You couldn't make it up!

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 23:13:45 »
Who cares about the money - its rubbish and you can't eat it!
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 23:15:29 »
no, it is not cheap - and some of you are disturbingly mean about your parsimonious boasts. Fruit bushes do not last for ever and yet, in 10 years on my site, I have not seen anyone replace old and gnarly bushes. Most of them have big bud mite or mildew.  I was the same until I saw young vigorous fruit bushes - there is no economy in scrimping. Also, I am prepared to amend my soil and since you can NEVER make enough compost to just rely on that, there are costs to keep the soil in good heart. But then, it is not about money, at least not for me. I do it because I love it. I would pay 10x the rent for my plots with pleasure.

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 23:25:04 »
I never count the cost
I just like being on my plot, I can get away from housework ect and do my own thing. I like to sit back and drink my coffee and watch the bees and the butterflies in and out of my flowers, I love to listen to the birds singing, when was the last time you sat back and listened and watched nature. I can recommend it
In this busy rushing world we do not take time out to see whats beautiful all around us.
    June

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal