Author Topic: Drunken Hens  (Read 1466 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Drunken Hens
« on: March 15, 2010, 21:51:03 »
Just a funny note to say i gave my 12 hens some apple cider vinegar in their 8Ltr drinker on sunday, and today they had turned it on it's side, which is no mean feat. That didn't seem too strange until i went and filled it up again and when i brought it back to the run, they went properly bonkers to get to the water drinker, maybe they were still thirsty i thought, until i remembered the rescue centre said that if i gave them too much Apple Cider Vinegar, it would have the effect of getting them drunk!! As i just poured a random amount in the drinker, i think that's what happened. Anyone else had this happen? Their behaviour was very strange!! PS One or two of the hens keep pulling the white downy feathers from a couple of the others, and eating them, any advice?  :D
Thas a rummun !!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Drunken Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 22:08:17 »
Yes it sound like you have been generous with the "cider"...just couple of spoonfuls per litre is enough... ;D
As for feather pecking...they might need extra protein...worms,crushed up snails,bit of dog food(no chicken though)etc.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 22:54:55 »
It sounds as though they had a few too many.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 18:25:48 »
The 3 Ex-Batts that are having their feathers pulled, were introduced just over 3 weeks ago, and i wondered if it was a pecking order issue, or something else?
Thas a rummun !!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal