Author Topic: socks  (Read 3051 times)

ACE

• Hectare
socks
« on: March 13, 2010, 18:24:42 »
I have had a bit of trouble since xmas, despite exercising and dieting, my weight seems to be a bit more than I really want. Anyway I had to have a blood test for something else and along with all the other results it turns out my thyroid is playing up a bit. It appears to be the reason for a lot of other ills as well. Nothing to worry about as it can all be controlled.
 There is a little niggle though, perhaps some of the not so dainty types could advice me on how to get my socks on without all the puffing and panting.
  I have tried different kneeling, bending, not wearing them tricks but I still struggle. The best way so far is what I call the jerusalem artichoke method.
 Lay on my back pull my knees up to my stomach and reach down to manouvre the socks over my toes up to my ankles when I then stand up to pull them on fully. There are problems with this method as it has the same effects of JA's and depending on what I had for tea the previous night. Leaves a lingering scent in the bedroom which definately ain't attar of roses!
 Ain't a pretty picture is it? So I  need a foolproof method, before I get stuck one day and get whacked with a rounders bat. No not a baseball bat, she ain't that cruel.

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
Re: socks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 18:30:27 »
 ;D glad i don't live with you and all them smells.

I have trouble because of having a trapped nerve. I stand on one leg and cross the other as high as i can and hook the sock over my toes, then pull up.
Works most of the time.

Neil

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 18:35:31 »
Dunno if these work for socks as well, but there is a phone number and they are very helpful.

http://www.independence.ltd.uk/store/item/1kagr/Dressing_Aids/Standard_tights_aid.html
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 18:37:34 »
you can also get a gadget which looks a bit like a litter picker upper. my mum in law had one when she had a hip op.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 18:56:25 »
Trying to get that image out of my head! Can't you buy sock puller-uppers?? All sorts you might need on here!

http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/comfort-dressing/sock-stocking-aids/plastic-sock-puller-with-tapes-p-9956.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 20:06:15 »
John usually puts mine on for me as I have serious problems too,, but if I do have to go it alone, I find sitting on the loo the beat place to do it, Height is right and different to a chair  or bed that you sink into.

I know I am hanging my neck out saying this but it does work Ace.

Might help with the other prob too, at least you would be in the right place.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 23:08:38 »
I find sitting on the loo the beat place to do it

Ace is having enough problems with breaking wind - who knows what might happen if he sits on the loo everytime he needs to change his socks!!

Duke :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 23:24:39 »
 ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:17:10 »
I would hope he goes to the loo more often than he changes his socks.

Or not..oh dear!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:43 »
I have spinal problems and two artificial knee joints so this is what I do.  I sit on the bed then turn the top half of my body 90° and pull my right leg onto the bed, bending the knee.  I can then reach my right foot.   I reverse this to get to my left foot.  I find this the easiest way to cut my toenails too.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 11:18:58 »
I hope your doctor gave you an exmption form so that youll get all your prescriptions free from now on.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 13:17:32 »
Have you got stairs, if so try setting on the stairs helps you get your leg higher and supported.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 13:23:11 »
Good idea Kea !! :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 16:54:09 »
I was fortunate enough to pay into the Haiti disaster last week to be invited to a very small gathering to see Peter Kay on stage but believe me your reneditions would encourage me to surrender twice the price  ;D  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 17:11:02 »
second for the stairs, I can only get my boots on this way  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 20:15:57 »
I can't get the picture of Ace's hairy arse sticking up in the air, out of my mind.    :'( :'( :'(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 23:25:36 »
OK pray tell, how do you know XX Jeannine

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 18:24:44 »
I discovered the stairs by accident one day...it beats most other methods because it doesn't seem to involve complicated contortions. Fortunately now i don't need to use it all the time.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 18:31:32 »
I discovered the stairs by accident one day

How long were you living in your house before you noticed the stairs?  ;D ;D ;D

sorry I am in a nutty mood!

Duke

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London