Do you tidy up in the autumn?

Yes
12 (60%)
No
3 (15%)
Sometimes
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Autumn clear up?  (Read 3499 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Autumn clear up?
« on: November 11, 2004, 14:35:07 »
Do you do an autumn clear up or just leave it to nature?

I've been picking leaves off the paths and pond as well as weeded out excess growth from the pond, but that's about it. I keep thinking about tidying up a bit more so I can put more stuff on the compost heap, but I never seem to get the time, I'm worried about leaving bare soil for the cats and my three compost bins are nearly full anyway.

What do you do?
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Autumn clear up?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 15:08:14 »
Aqui, Just come in from my garden giving it its Autumn tidy! I chop some stuff down, but leave those with interest to look lovely in the frost! I am trying to spread a thick layer of horse manure all over the garden to give my plants some protection, and I have to say it looks great as it is hiding all the weeds that are STILL growing! Have finally started to hoick out my tenders, Fuchias,cannas etc. but this year leaving some in as an experiment to see if they survive better without my help! Suppose I had better get out there and put my tools away, why do I never learn that at this time of the day when I come in for a cuppa, I should tidy up first cos I never want to go back out! ;D DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 16:29:41 »
50/50 really.  I clear the leaves from my lawn, but leave most on the beds unless they are smothering something, and I cut down things that look naff, but other things, like my ornamental grasses stay put as they look stunning on wintery morns.  I have tidied around the pond, and I gather all of my pots together and huddle them on the deck by the house to keep warm.  Tender things go into my bubble wrapped heated greenhouse.  I have tied in anything that has put on lots of late summer growth so that they are supported through the winter, like my Tayberry, Wisteria and a berberis I am trying to keep close to the fence.  Now all I need is another sunny day like today just to dry the lawn out a bit more and this time tomorrow I will be out cutting it!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 17:33:33 »
Just to let you know DP that we have had a couple of nights down to -8C this week, our first real freeze. Hopefully just the foliage on my tuberous begonias, which were still growing, got frosted and not the tubers. My pot grown Nerines certainly don't look happy though! You should be getting this weather early next week?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 18:26:00 »
Ohhhhhhhh  thanks for that John! The kids will be pleased, they are waiting for a good frost so they can bring the Guinea Pigs in!!
Hopefully will have my garden put to bed before it arrives! ;D DP

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 19:48:39 »
I have been really reluctant to clear the summer plants as there is still so much colour in the garden, but today was alot colder so if we are going to get the temperatures that John promises I put my tender plants in pots back into the heated greenhouse.  Loads of stuff dumped on the compost and like Emma, just clear the leaves from the lawn and the pathes, and the pond of course.  

Talking of nerines John, I have been very unlucky with them.  Loads of leaves but no flowers - what can I be doing wrong I wonder ???  

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 20:48:43 »
i clear up stuff that won't look good through the autumn and winter and get rid of the dead stuff onto the compost. i've raked up as many leaves as i can get for the first time this year, and have binbags full to make some lovely leafmould.
the frost tender plants go back into the greenhouse.
i wouldn't want to chop everything down, it would look bare and a bit unfriendly for the wildlife.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 23:26:41 »
John, what are your daytime temperatures when your night times are -8°C? just interested as I know palms can sustain certain freezing conditions so long as the day temps sore for a while?

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 00:06:18 »
Today? +2C. January average high is -5C, lows -30C (one winter our highs didn't get above -5C for six weeks). I was a little disingenuous in my palm post, my palm is potted and is already under protection! Record low in Vermont, about 150km North of here, was -52C (about the temperature eyes freeze). Before my time here, thankfully.  

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 09:33:15 »
-52C (about the temperature eyes freeze).  
:o :o :o
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 11:32:15 »
Actually makes me glad I live in the UK!

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 14:05:40 »
how do things still work in those temperatures?!?! pipes and etc??

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 15:57:35 »
Pat, are your Nerines planted deeply?  I believe they need to have their noses just at the soil surface, even poking out just a tad.  Me thinks they like to be baked in the summer.  My grandad has masses of them in his front garden and they are gorgeous!

Cut the grass today - the grass wasn't thrilled but if I don't do it regularly, the lawn becomes waterlogged over the winter and you can hear the water trickling through it.  Keeping it cut helps keep it dry - plus it meant I hoovered up the willow leaves which had finally started to fall!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 16:37:03 »
Thanks for that advice Emma - maybe I will dig them up and put them in a pot.  I am really envious of people living near me - there are masses of them all out in bloom at the moment, look absolutely gorgeous.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2004, 21:51:10 »
whenever i see lovely photos of planted covered in hoarfrost, glittering, i always wonder why mine NEVER looks like that. generally, by the end of the autumn, everything looks sort of bashed down, wilted and tattered. If left for the frost, it just gets even limper, rattier and definately horizontal......so, it has to go unless absolutely needed for mulch.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 02:09:52 »
Kerry- you just have to make sure that things are adapted to work in those conditions. For example: outdoor pipes can be prevented from freezing simply by leaving a slight flow of water running overnight (that is the old way, nowadays you wrap them in electrically heated 'tape'). No-one has quite figured out how to get diesel fuel to stop gelling at that temperature though (a personal problem for me). Car batteries here have to generate at least 600 'cold' cranking amps. Anything below -30C for a high (yes, we do get those days) means that little gets done outside as it is dangerous to work in those temperatures. At least I'm not in Minnesota!
GG- if you do pot them up remember you have to stop the pot freezing through.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 21:42:31 »
i just wondered how people would manage to go about their normal business with temperatures that low-i just can't imagine it.
i was thinking so many things we take for granted must not be able to operate at those temperatures.
reminds me though of when parents holidayed in iceland-they said all the water supplies (hot) are deliberately routed under roads, so no build up of ice/snow can happen.
i suppose if you live with it, you learn what works!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 23:50:33 »
Im not really an ultra tidy gardener, in autumn I concentrate tidying up of leaves, pine needles etc to paths, lawns and any excess on borders and beds to keep plants from being smothered.

I prefer nature to take its course. Fallen leaves will rot down and improve the soil and old stems provide structure and protection over the winter, as well as benefittine wildlife. If nessesary I'll have a tidy up/cut back in late winter/spring.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal